internal and external HD with itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bst, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bst macrumors newbie

i've been doing a search, and i've still got some questions. I want some of music/videos on my internal, and the rest on the external. When I am attached to the external HD, i want to access the music thru itunes, and keep all the music organized in itunes, while still keeping some on internal and some on external.......
    My basic task is to access the music on the externalHD to put onto the ipod when I need it, and still keep some music on my internal HD when I am using it.
    For example, when i am away from home, I can have some music on the internal HD, and the rest on the ipod from my external HD.
    does this all make sense? I have a apple notebook and don't want to be tied to the desk of the external just to listen to music while working (ie others have posted that they have their music on external only and can access thru itunes....i am looking for a little bit different scenario)

tia
    bst

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. bst thread starter macrumors newbie

my question is: how do i keep some music on internal HD and some on external HD,and use itunes to play from both locations? will things be messed up if i disconnect from the External and try to play only what is on my internal?

4. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Go under iTunes preferences>Advanced>Deselect the option 'copy to iTunes library'. This way you can copy your music anywhere and manually add to library the music you wish from any HD/s. I have 5 HDs and each has a folder setup just like the main iTunes folder for storing my music. Each HD has about 3GB worth of music files (total = 15.13GB) for 1690 songs. It works for me.

5. bst thread starter macrumors newbie

Dane, does this allow you to play from the HD when attached? and itunes doesn't freak if the HD is not attached?

6. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

It will only give you an error if you try to play a song that is on the unattached drive, other then that, you'll be fine. As long as you have a good memory at least.

7. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

There will be a question mark I think if iTunes can't locate the file. When the song is selected a dialogue box pops up and asks if you wish to locate file. Just cancel if HD isn't connected.