Internal bluetooth chip for keyboard/mouse - worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kavika411, Apr 22, 2006.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2006
    I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I much prefer a wireless keyboard and mouse for my powermac, but I've been disappointed with the way the little USB antenna thing in my powermac seems to lose its connection with the mouse and keyboard on a not infrequent basis. The guy at our local Apple store (not quite a real Apple store - small scale operation) says he can put a chip inside my Powermac for about $80. Any of you know anything about this - whether it works better, whether it is something I could order myself? Thank you for your thoughts.
  2. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I was thinking the same thing when I got my Power Mac, I got it refurb so I knew it wouldn't come with BT so I looked into getting it fitted by an Apple Service Centre. They wanted about £300 (yeah that's right, £300 :eek: ) so I got the DLink USB Adapter for £15.

To be honest, apart from losing a USB Socket, I actually prefer this option because I found that when I plugged the adapter into my Cinema Display, my mouse had a much better connection than when connected to the Power Mac itself (located under the desk, much further away from the keyboard/mouse).

If you don't currently have the DLink adapter, I highly recommend it because it has Apple's official seal of approval. I haven't had ANY issues with it whatsoever. It's been as good and reliable as the internal Bluetooth on my Powerbook.
  3. powerboy macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    I was able to buy the Apple Bluetooth kit for my PowerMac from my Apple Store. It was pretty easy to install and it works great. Technically, I don't think they were supposed to sell it to me as it is supposed to be professionally installed. If I remember, the kit was $45 and with installation it would have been about $80 or $90.