internal bluetooth for imac g5, after the fact

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by skipperchong, Feb 21, 2005.

1. skipperchong macrumors newbie

I made the mistake of not buying my mac through the apple store and didn't realize that macwarehouse didn't offer internal bluetooth until just now -- weeks later. I don't really want to use up a USB slot. my question, is there any way to still get internal bluetooth?

2. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

as far as i know, the iMac uses an internal USB for its BT anyway. but.. i dont know if its a modified type or something along those lines with a propriety connection. If you do no want to open up your iMac, I would say take it up to your local Apple store and they should be able to let you know.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst it is connected over a USB bus it does not, as far as I am aware, use a standard USB port. People have claimed that it should be possible to add after the fact, but that Apple do not make the part required available. I would talk to your local Apple Store/Reseller.

4. skipperchong thread starter macrumors newbie

5. skipperchong thread starter macrumors newbie

question answered

so, you know I talked to Apple support last night. they confirmed that after the comp ships from the plant, it's very difficult to get an internal bluetooth -- unless you want to get a new system board.

I'd imagine that there was a way, but whatever.

looks like there goes that last USB port. any more and it's hub city for this guy.