Internal Bluetooth-how is it connected?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by caveman_uk, Jun 11, 2004.

1. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

In the desktop machines how is the BTO bluetooth module connected? Is it by an internal USB port or by a proprietary connector?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's still internal USB, but there seems to be a variety of modules and connectors.

PowerBook:

[​IMG]

iMac:

[​IMG]

3. caveman_uk thread starter Guest

caveman_uk

Excellent reply....don't suppose you've got similar pictures for the G5 have you?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Flipped over...

The circled part is the antenna, the white block on the other side between the screw holes is the USB connector (which isn't the standard external port).

You can also see where it plugs into the motherboard just above the top left screw hole.

Attached Files:

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So I take it that the BT module could be installed by an Apple Tech after system purchase then?

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Does anybody know if it is possible for one to install an internal BT module on a FPD iMac?

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

It is possible to install the Bluetooth module after purchase, it's simply a modular part. Problem is, it's very difficult to come by. I've heard people haven't had much success obtaining it from Apple. I have heard of people finding them on eBay on occasion though. You just have to keep searching.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think it'd be better if the module was like the AE card - i.e. comes built-in on PowerBooks but then can be bought off Apple and user-installed at a later stage.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Prolly a cost issue (to add the features to the frame/case/etc to allow for this) why they don't do this? I liked their decision to just make it standard on PBs though. I guess from the consumer standpoint the $50 for the BT adaptor isn't such an unreasonable request. The ones who suffer are the ones who don't know what it is or what its good for till after they buy their computer. Imagine having to get a USB dongle adapter. *gasps*

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For me it is not the cost, but that i have to have a system BTO to have BT built-in. You give up flexibility on returns/exchanges by going through the APple BTO, than taking it off the shelf of resellers.

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

it is difficult to come by these modules as they are in VERY short supply. in fact, BT device makers have to be on a list to get a shipment of the modules, then they can make a run of the device. So, you're not likely to find many (i didn't say none, just many) out there.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a good point (returns)...I remember now vaguely being annoyed when I asked about satisfaction guarantee on my ibook and was told there wouldn't be one for this reason. And also having the same concern about getting an engraved iPod.

Fortunately I haven't been dissatisfied yet. :)

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Same for me on my stock unit PB 12" from the Apple Store (went the Apple Store route for the edu pricing), with the outside hope that if the unit had some real issues i could talk the store into a swap. The store did give a wishy-washy answer.

14. mackensie macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am able to get the parts (2) for the Bluetooth internal module to install into my iBook g4. The picture isn't very clear, but is this install difficult? I've done a fair bit of installation work on computers, so i'm not gunshy, but not an expert (no soldering).

Thanks,
    mackensie