Internal Bluetooth Module

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ShermDog, Sep 15, 2004.

1. ShermDog macrumors regular

I currently have an iBook G4 with an internal bluetooth module and I am considering purchasing a G5 tower. Is it possible to remove the bluetooth module from my ibook and install it in the G5 tower?

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Not sure, but from what I hear the bluetooth module is a piece that is soldered onto the logic board. This would make it pretty difficult to move to the new computer. Again i don't know for fact, but that is what I was told.

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

No

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Although it is solderered onto the USB bus, according to the System Profiler.

5. NCTRNL macrumors regular

6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The BlueTooth module is added as a discreet module to the Power Mac G5s, I believe. On the iMac G5 it is actually a part of the motherboard itself, there is nothing to "add" or "remove."

When you get an iMac G5 with BlueTooth and wireless keyboard/mouse, at least, you only get the wireless keyboard and mouse and a setup assistant pairs the devices when you first turn on the computer.

This may be the future direction for this feature as more and more BlueTooth devices are available (including Apple's own wireless keyboards and mice).

Of course with pro Macs the tether to wired devices may linger for many more years to come.