Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
OK, so I've been tasked with creating a virtual Kiosk/News portal at my job, and I'd like to make it Mac based.. what I've come up with so far is OK, but I'd like to think I can do better.

Currently I am using Keynote, running on a Mac Mini (connected to a wall mounted LCD TV)- its very simplistic - I use the themes, animations/transition, etc - the only downside - its very one-dimensional. Someone can stop by the mounted TV and read whats going on, but thats it - no interaction...

What I'd like to do is make something more 'iWeb' capable - Something where they can go back to thier desks and see the same info and click a link or 2 of they see something they like.. and even better - contribute to it if they've got something to say!

I was thinking of iWeb, I could get creative there, and creat a blog page so people can comment - but the ony issue there is it doesn't display well on the TV since it won't automatically switch pages - I want it able to run on its own on the TV.

Are there any applications out there which would do this, or can anyone suggest modifications to Keynote and or iweb to allow it to be more robust?

Thanks in advance...

gettleshtetl

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
Any luck with a Mac solution for a kiosk display?

I am also looking to create and interactive display at my work place using a Mac. I am thinking about using Front Row but it is not customizable. I also looked into XHub, which is customizable, but limited, and ugly. Have you found an interactive solution?

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Any ideas for kiosk software?

On a big screen I'd like to present things like rolling 'recent news', slideshows of recent photos, movies and fixed information.

I'd like to be able to edit the information on a primary display or remotely from a 2nd computer so that the display isn't interrupted.

Any ideas what I need to do this?

phobos2deimos

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
I know this is a super old topic, but for the googlers out there, you can do this with Quartz Composer, which is part of the Developer Tools on the OS disc.
Very, very flexible program, especially when including external inputs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.