internal fans..permanent running? [software]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asif786, Jul 25, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey,

so i just installed the firmware update on my iMac g5 [the light one] and while it was doing it..it put the fans on full - and wow, those are some powerful fans.

anyway, i was wondering, is there any way i can get these fans running when i want? i.e. if my room is feelin' kinda cool and i want to warm it up, is there some terminal command or something that will rev the fans up? i kinda like the loud noise actually, so it doesn't bother me.

i know they come on when you're in open firmware or something, but is there a way to actively use them while the machine is in normal operation?

thanks
    asif

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'm pretty sure it's doable, change a line in firmware, but someone else will have to help with that...

Personally, I've always thought the fans sounded really scary at full-speed... i'd be afraid the thing would suddenly explode. If you run it at full-speed, you're going to be shortening the lifespans of the fans, pulling more dust into the machine, and doing an unnecessary job of cooling. Seems like it might be better to leave it alone?

3. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Yeah, it would be cool if there was a dashboard widget that could control the fan speed. I love the sound they make when reving up.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I would suggest if your room is cold, to turn the heat up a bit or get a portable heater. iMac = not heater. :eek:

5. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

asif786

mmm well i wouldn't do it all the time, just sometimes.

i guess, like Oryan, i just like the sound.

ITASOR, my room isn't cold per se..but like in the morning when i wake up i wouldn't mind leaving my hand behind the blower for a minute. ;)

i just thought it'd be a cool thing to know/do..

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

It would be cool if you had a real slider on your desk that controlled the fans and you could rev 'em up lol.

Seriously though, I wouldn't risk voiding my warranty to do it.

7. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Actually I don't think spinning the fans up faster would make your room any warmer. The heat originates from the components such as the CPU and HD, the fans just move the air. So making the fans go faster will cause more air movement but it will be cooler.

You could try running a program that consumes CPU, such as Folding at home or Seti. This will generate more heat (and thus causing fans to spin faster)

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have one of these on my pc. I like being able to control my fans since my pc doesn't do it for me.

As far as an iMac goes I don't know what connectors they use for the fans, but something like this sticking out the back might work. Doesn't seem worth it to me though.

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Get a G5 furnace instead

Solution - Toss the iMac G5 and get a dual 2.7 tower. My 2.5 has put the temperature up in the room at least 2 - 3 degrees :eek:.

It's winter here now and I don't mind it. But when summer comes along, I think I will be putting the G5 to sleep during the day and turning the Air Con on before I use it...

aussie_geek