Internal HD replacement for iBook 12"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by platipodium, Apr 13, 2005.

1. platipodium macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    My harddrive failed with the often reported clicking noises. I was able to backup everything to my external 250 GB FW HD and install OSX on the external. However, booting in target mode and running OSX from the external drive is only a temporary solution.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a replacement internal HD. My preference is rather for low noise/low power consumption than for speed. What size would you suggest (keeping in mind that I have 250 GB external and 40 GB iPod storage available and use the iBook for travelling)

Many thanx for your rec's
  2. Hydra macrumors regular

May 25, 2004
  3. platipodium thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    Are there any specific models you can recommend? Do all 2.5" internal HDs fit into the iBook?
  4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Ok, any 2.5" 9.5MM high IDE Hard drive should work fine. With brands, they're pretty much all the same, so you don't need to be too picky. Try to aim for a 5400 or even 7200rpm drive if you want to see a performance boost. With HD prices for notebooks, I probably wouldn't go under 60GB.

With noise, they're pretty much all the same as well, except for the Seagate drives. Just got a 100gb one in my powerbook, and it is noisy. So, try to look for Toshiba, Fujitsu, and maybe Hitachi (I've had bad luck with Hitachi's)
  5. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    This site has lots of info about replacing the powerbook hard drives. Haven't seen much about the iBook but i haven't looked around.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The iBook is supposedly a nightmare to get to the HD. Search around and you will find some good directions though, with photos. IIRC, it involves maybe 20 screws before you get to the HD...But still doable, just takes time. has pretty good prices on notebook drives, they have a full selection with some 7200 RPM drives as well.

At least the positive thing is that you will notice your iBook is faster after the new HD. I think most all iBooks come with a 4200 RPM HD.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Is it still under AppleCare?

If it is, don't crack it open. Just let them deal with it.

Otherwise, any 2.5" 9.5mm ATA drive will fit.

WARNING: iBooks are hell to open up and replace their hard drives. Be careful!
  8. platipodium thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2005
    Opening the iBook no worries

Thanks for your input. I'll get a 60 Gig then. Due to the screen flickering / reed switch problem I already now how to get to iBook's internals. No pain, just very time-consuming. I found the hardest part is to not tear the aluminum foil shielding that sticks around the edges of the inner case.

Also, write down the positions each screw. I did exactly that and nonetheless ended up with one leftover screw ... With iBook in workable condition I'm just waiting to get an iMac G5 once the newer model comes out.
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    You're a braver man than me platipodium. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of opening up my iBook so I just sent it on its happy way down to the local Apple reseller who gladly changed it over to a 4200rpm 80 gig for me with a pretty minimal labour charge (under 10% from memory).