Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Once I purchase a New Powerbook, I want to take one of my HD's out of my G3 tower. I can just purchase a case to put the IDE drive into right? Hopefully you guys might have some recommendations. Switching to a Firewire HD would be preferable.

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
GimmeSlack12 said:
I can just purchase a case to put the IDE drive into right? Hopefully you guys might have some recommendations. Switching to a Firewire HD would be preferable.

Yep. Enclosures support usb2.0, firewire400, or both. There's also some firewire800 enclosures showing up now.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Unless you plan on using this on a Windoze PC, just get the firewire version of a case, with firewire you don't loose a port, it's faster than USB2.0, and a single version case will likely be cheaper then a version that supports the two. Also, I wouldn't bother with FW800, the hard drive you are putting in the case most likely won't benefit from the faster speed.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
rickvanr said:
Also, I wouldn't bother with FW800, the hard drive you are putting in the case most likely won't benefit from the faster speed.

I hear that.

yeah, I did a quick search, there are a bunch of them out there. And they are not very expensive. It will save me $$ instead of upgrading to a bigger PB HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.