Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
I've been running with the 160Gig drive that came with my Rev C dual 2.0 G5 and it's about time I bought an internal drive to hold my media for Final Cut Pro. I'm bouncing back and forth between the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 and the MaxLine III. The MaxLine has a 16mb cache vs. Hitachi's 8mb. What kind a difference am I really looking at? Will it matter the system drive which came with my G5 has an 8mb cache, as I assume it does? I've had good luck with both makers and trust them equally.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I haven't been keeping up w/HDD technology, but if all you are going to be working with is DV or HDV then pretty much any modern 7200RPM drive will suffice.

Lethal

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
LethalWolfe said:
I haven't been keeping up w/HDD technology, but if all you are going to be working with is DV or HDV then pretty much any modern 7200RPM drive will suffice.

Lethal

Thank you for the response. I was hoping you'd chime in. Your advice is some of which I largely agree and most certainly respect.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
Carl Spackler said:
Thank you for the response. I was hoping you'd chime in. Your advice is some of which I largely agree and most certainly respect.
Ditto.. Props, Lethal :cool:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks guys. :)

I enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience w/others and just hope that I don't come off as a pompous know-it-all while I do it. :D

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.