Internal Modem is Silent - Cannot Get it to make a sound

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dmetzcher, Dec 8, 2005.

1. dmetzcher macrumors regular

I posed this on another forum and got nothing back...I'm hoping someone here knows how to remedy this problem. Thanks! :D

This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. My internal modem, when I first got my iBook, made the typical dial and handshake sounds when I would dial a connection. I can't remember when it stopped, but it no longer makes a sound when it is dialing.

I'm running an iBook G4 12" 1.2 GHz with 768 MB RAM.

Does this have anything to do with a modem script (I read something about this and it mentioned a modem script, but I don't think it solved the issue for the other user). I checked the settings for the modem in the Network preference pane. The radio button for Sound is set to On.

It might have happened to me after the Tiger upgrade as well. I'm not sure. Could it be a Tiger issue?

Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. reh macrumors 6502a

Is your sound volume muted or low?
    - or -
    System Preferences -> Network -> Show: Internal Modem -> Modem tab -> Sound: On

3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

you want it to make all those noises?? [​IMG]

in any case, read the above post, that should take care of it.

4. dmetzcher thread starter macrumors regular

Checked this setting. It's checked next to "On". I even unchecked it and then checked it again. Nothing.

5. dmetzcher thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really want the sounds, but they are helpful for troubleshooting. Also, if something is wrong with the modem, I just want to know about it. I could take the thing back to Apple if it's not working properly.

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A device used to turn a digital signal into an analog signal for transmission over phone lines, and capable of reversing the process.

Sort of pointless step now that most phone lines are now digital between cities, and only analog between the phone and the nearest phone packet transmission device.

8. reh macrumors 6502a

It's quite likely you use one to get online (dialup, DSL, or cable). ;)