internal or external dvd burner?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mohmandm, Aug 16, 2004.

1. mohmandm macrumors member

I've been debating on an dvd burner for awhile after opting to not get the superdrive with my powerbook. I have a desktop pc and like a said before, a powerbook. Would you guys recommend getting an internal dvd burner for my pc, or an external dvd burner I can use on both. I've heard the internal burners get you more bang for your buck... I plan on using the burner to backup music and school files and duplicate some DVD movies my friends have. Also, could you recommend a burner and if i should get a dual layered burner???

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I personally prefer anything and everything internal if possible. I have a tendancy not to make use of external stuff. Also, my external optical drive (a 52x LaCie CDRW) sounds like a jet engine, which is a big turn off, I don't know whether or not the noise would be dampened if it was in my computer case, but I have to imagine it must be.

3. mohmandm thread starter macrumors member

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I think external is a nice option, even for laptops.
    For one, external can be used on more than just your machine. So, if you need to just bring the burner to a friends, you can. Also, the costs for an external full size burner vs. an internal for a laptop, the external will be cheaper and faster. However with a tower, the internal will be cheaper.

I personally have both internal and external drives. I can often read from one and write to another, or use one for DVD and another for CD. Its flexible.

Many companies make nice firewire drives that compliment the look of the Mac, so that is usually not an issue.