internal or external HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by masterjedi73, Sep 17, 2005.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

For my PM G5, should I go internal or exteral for another hd? If so, what kind?

What kind of HD would I need for internal?

thanks

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Dunno, since you haven't said what your priorities are

Internally, a stock G5 tower has room for one additional SATA drive. The Mac has the cables and the mounting hardware.

Internal drives are cheaper, and access is a bit faster.

Externally, a Firewire 400 or 800 drive would be the thing.
    External drives have the advantage of being moveable to another machine, should your primary machine break down.

You can either buy a complete external unit, like a LaCie D2 or Porsche, or you can buy a firewire case and add a bare IDE (Parallel, not SATA) drive yourself.

The advantage is that if you get a drive mechanism separately, it will have 3 or 5 years warranty depending on brand, rather than one year on a finished-goods external hard drive. Make sure when you price drives that you are getting the full manufacturers' warranty -- you don't want a cheaper 'pull' or OEM drive that has zero to 1 year warranty.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

what's a good internal brand? i've seen some bad reviews for maxtor. how's western digital?

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

You'll hear bad and good things about every brand. I'm partial to Seagate drives. They currently offer the awesome Raptor 10,000 rpm serial ATA drive that would rock with your G5. Seagate also makes the most quiet desktop drive on the market, the Barracuda. I've got a 120 gig 7200 rpm Barracuda and a 40 gig 5400 rpm Barracuda in my G4, they really are the quietest drives I've never heard :D

My dad's got Western Digital drives in his G4, never had any troubles. Not as quiet as mine though.

EDIT: oops, the Raptor is Western Digital, not Seagate.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hard Drives, if you were to listen to everyone who has had a horror story, would be something that you would never install into your computer. You would always be stuck with a floppy or CD or DVD.

That being said...

Whatever is on sale at Fry's has tended to work quite well for me. Get a 3 year warranty and for the first couple of weeks use SMARTreporter. Linkety

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Errr...the Raptor is made by Western Digital...
    The Raptors are fast, noisy and small -- 36 or 72 Gb. They are most often used as a boot drive/scratch drive in combination with 1 or more large 7200 RPM drive(s) for data and application storage

Seagates have 5 year warranty
    Maxtor and Western Digital have 3 years

7. cube macrumors G4