Internal PC hard drive to external mac hard drive help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mizzi, Dec 10, 2005.

1. mizzi macrumors member

so i had a pc, recently bought a powerbook. on my old pc i had a 200 gig hard drive which i bought an external casing for, hooked it up and it looks gorgeous. however, it appears to be in read-only mode. i cant save anything to this drive.

i checked the jumper settings and everything seems to be in order. i can read files and open them from the drive (namely pictures, i'm a photographer.) the error that i get when trying to write to the drive has to do with not having permission or something...

it says it's in windows nt format...i'm assuming that's part of the issue. is there a way to fix this without having to back up all my info on dvds or another drive and reformatting?

thanks for your time and for your help.

<3Mark

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

So NTFS does work on Mac OS X, but only as read-only, amazing you are like the first to let us know this. Now as for converting your drive, there's no way AFAIK. You'll have to compress all of the stuff you want to save in a DMG and put it on your computer locally... That's the only way I know how to do it. I could be wrong, I'll google and if I find an answer I'll let you know.

Peace

3. lordj4000 macrumors member

pfff... everyone knows that NTFS is read only on macs.;)

I had this same problem, what i did is i used partition magic to resize the ntfs partition and make a fat 32 partition, which macs can write too. I then copies everything to the other partition, deleted the ntfs partition and resized the fat32 to cover the whole drive.

If your mac has the space though, it might be better to go with slookster's idea.

4. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

thank you both very much for your help, youre awesome. i just want to get as many suggestions as i can before i start messing around in uncharted territories haha. this seems like something i'd screw up pretty easily so i'm a little hesitant to just go at it.

anyway, any further suggestions or advice is definitely welcome and i very much appreciate the replies so far :)

5. lordj4000 macrumors member

A quick google search showed up this ntfsosx. Never tried so good luck with it.

6. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the response again, that's an interesting option i'll definitely keep in mind.

7. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

i think i'm just going to back it all up on dvds and reformat:(

ther's a lot of junk i dont need on there hah.

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

IMO I think that's the best way to go. Few reasons - 1, make sure it has the Native HFS+ format (assuming you do format it HFS+). 2, Spotlight - I don't think spotlight works on FAT32 or other vols. 3, Starting all over with a... new partition hard drive (sadly the data is still on there unless you erase it which will take about... 200gb... 6 hours for one pass? 9 days with 35 passes? IMO that sounds right.) And... well those are my reasons.

9. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

well tiger has been 'preparing data' on my first disc for quite some time now. i gues 4.7 gigs is a lot of crap to prepare. thanks for your reasoning, much appreciated. i wish i had toast...haha

10. mizzi thread starter macrumors member

new issue!:mad:

i'm using a "new burn folder" to burn the info on a dvd and it just staaaaaays on "preparing data" forever. never changing, never burning. any suggestions now? hah

thanks

11. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Put in a burnable CD/DVD and when the question is asked what to open up, click Open Finder. After that, right click, click copy on the data that you need copied over, and paste it into the DVD. Then click the burn icon, say to burn at what speed you want, and tell it not to make the burn folder - those can be a pain if you can't delete them. Heck sometimes root won't even delete them. - then just burn it like that. I am suspecting it could be a problem with NTFS

12. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

And those who don't are probably suffering from a bad case of D.H.S. (Duh-Huh Syndrome) :eek: