Internal Temp and/or fan speeds

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DougJrS, Mar 11, 2005.

1. DougJrS macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can see what the internal temp of a G5 is? Mine is usually very quiet, but for the last few days it had periods of 30 seconds or so when all the fans go full speed. They do quickly return to normal quickly so I don't think it is a heat thing.

Doug

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Konfabulator has some utilities that monitor processor temps...but it is a resources hog.

Try Version Tracker yet?

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

"Hardware Monitor" and "Temperature Monitor" are two programs that can read the cpu temp, hard drive temp cpu voltage, and cpu current, and hard drive fan speeds, (depending on which program you run.)

You have a choice of C or F or both for display of temp. It's hard to find published "normal' temps, but i've read that 83 C for the CPU is automatic shut down time.

This iMac G5 20 is practically idling and cpu is 51.7. Running some labor intensive program such as Folding, or X-Plane, or the graphical display in iTunes will heat it up a bit which the programs display nicely.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I use Temperatue Monitor. My powerbook is usually around 60 c.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I use Temperature Monitor. I guess my PM 2x2.5 GHz G5 must have died months ago, and I haven't noticed, since my cpu die temps under load (I Fold 24x7) are around 85-86 C. There's actually a big difference in die temp thresholds between the original 970 (G5) and the newer 970FX (the one that gets us to 2.5 GHz), with the latter having a much higher max die temp.

6. DougJrS thread starter macrumors regular

Where do I find those programs? I don't see them in the utility folder.

Doug

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Temps get fairly high

See Here

as long as you have apple care on it than apple will support their machine.

If you don't have applecare GET IT. Best thing ever.

-Pat

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

The cpu fan in my PC died and i didnt notice for months... My temp monitor showed it going upto 101C during folding but now that i replaced it it never gets above 65C... I wonder why my PC didnt shut down at those high temps. :rolleyes: