Internal vs. External HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sotied, Apr 12, 2003.

1. sotied macrumors regular

I've got a G4 with only 60GB inside. I want to bump my storage higher but am stuck between getting an external or internal drive.

2 questions:

1- which is preferred or is it just a preference thing?

2- Can I use an ATA133 in my G4 which is only listed at ATA100?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i'm pretty sure you can use an ata/133 in you powermac, but if i'm wrong, someone correct me.

external drives are usually more expensive from what i've seen, and internal ones will save you desk space. it's really your choice as for which to go for.

3. orangefoodie macrumors member

ata/133 is fully backwards compatible, much like usb 2.0 - you should have no problems. It's just a question of whether the extra dollars justify the lack of desk space...

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Also an internal drive will always out perform an external of the same type. This has nothing to do with bandwith but simply to do with all the handshaking that has to happen to move the data in/out of the computer rather then just move it around internally.

The benefits of an external though is that when your computer goes down you still have your data. Also you can back up to another computer and move data around a lot easier.

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

If its for performace like caputuring video, or using for applications and what not, go internal. Otherwise i'd go external, just for the portability and the comfort if the cat ever knocks my tower off the shelves i still have data. I have 2 internals, and 1 external, i use the external a lot, i just keep the second internal for capturing video. My advice is external unless you need true high performance. And as already stated, ATA133 works fully backwards with ATA100 and ATA66