International Baccalaureate--anybody heard of it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Dec 13, 2002.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hey, i am a senior in IB at westwood high school in Austin, TX. It seems nobody knows much about IB, and i was just curious as to how many of you guys know about it. if so, what are your opinions of it? is it inferior to AP? is it useful? do you think it makes you a better-rounded person?

www.ibo.org --just for a reference.

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ive barely heard about it but i always though it was treated on the same level as ap

3. conceptdev macrumors regular

The keyword is international, it is an internationally recognized and standardized certificate. I know that many universities in Europe and Canada prefer an international bac than a conventional secondary school diploma when selecting American freshman because the standard is seen to be more rigorous and inline with their educational systems. In my experience though I have never seen any preference or requirements for it given in the US, for American nationals.

4. 3777 macrumors 6502

Re: International Baccalaureate--anybody heard of it?

Sounds like some sort of mail order babe:D

5. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Accreditation...

You need to make sure that any school you attend is properly accredited for what you want to use a degree for. There are non-accredited schools that offer degrees for money. You would be hard pressed to get a company to accept such a degree as proof you can perform the tasks associated with a job.

:cool:

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

At my school and I'm betting in most other countries' international schools, IB is the most important diploma, other than the normal high school diploma. Everybody from 6th grade up in my school knows IB.

Anways, it's important for us students in international schools in order to get to good schools all over the world. Most of us know that we will be going to the US anyways, but taking IB is a good experience and something you can't get doing only AP. But we also want to keep all the options open, just in case we want to study somewhere else.

But, if you're in the US, and are sure that you will be going to an American school, I see no point doing it... just that it might look a little better on your diploma :D

irmongoose

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm taking IB next year. It is supposed to be hard but I'm sure I will get ued to it.

8. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Ehhh, good luck. that first semester of my senior year was plain nasty, but it's otherwise not too bad. i mean, survivable. yeah.

i did my extended essay on "quantum computers." it's too bad i couldn't explicitly mention Apple. i said something about "G4s and Pentium 4s" though.

9. yzeater macrumors regular

I know a good deal about it, and in my personal opinion it's not as good as AP. But I'm probably skewed because I'll go into college with my freshman year done from AP credits!

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

My class was the first class that the IB program would be available to in McAllen, TX. As sophomores, they gave us the run-down on what it would be like, and that it was in its early stages, so a lot was missing. The way it's done in my school district, is that IB students take their core classes, or the IB classes at a special IB campus. They then attend their regular high schools for courses not offered at the IB campus, and electives. I thought about it, but IB just didn't offer the flexibility of AP. The classes were in a block schedule at IB and normal schedule at the high school. I wouldn't have been able to take all of the required IB classes, plus band, plus a telecommunications/networking class that I was looking forward to. IB also has much more work (in my observations) than AP (or at least at my school...) Amidst the scheduling problems and the extra work I would have to do, I just didn't think the IB program would pay off for what I was interested in. It's probably good for people who want to learn more and expand their opportunities, but for the average everyday joe like me, AP works out fine for me. Besides, I'm also taking classes that have concurrent enrollment with a local college, so I can get college credit at the colleges I'm looking to go to (in state colleges.)

Oh, btw shadowfax, where do you plan on going to college, somewhere in state or out of state? I'm looking to go to UT Austin :cool:

11. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

AP is not exactly better than IB though, from that perspective. you can take as many or as few APs as you want without entering a program. you pay for one, you take it, and htey give you credit. with IB we take APs in all the classes we do IB in--so i have AP US, European, CS A, Physics B, and English language & composition under my belt now, with calc AB, German, English Lit comp, probably World History, Physics C, and CS AB on the plate for the end of the year, plus all the IB tests i take, which often give you credit in addition to the APs.

a lot of my IB friends who have graduated have entered college with as many as 60 hours of credit. it's really insane.

the difference i see is that IB is holistic. it's more of a "renaissance student" ideal, if you take my meaning. they want us all to be little daVincis, which makes it much harder. in addition to all the AP stuff we do at my school, we have IB projects-little internal assessments,, like orals for language, portfolio projects for math, and of course the Extended essay, that nasty 4000 word paper on anything you want.

it's a different ideal than AP, you're right, but it's also got the advantages that you are identifying AP with, so i don't see how that makes AP better for you. i assume you just didn't want the extra hassle?

12. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

I applied to the UT preCS thing; i would like to go there, but i would much prefer Cornell up in Ithaca, if i can get in. i am also applying to OU, because they offered me like 55000$ in the national merit finalist scholarship thing. it's not a tip top school like cornell, or UT as far as CS goes, but i igured if somebody paid for my BS, i could probably afford to pay for a master's at a much more prestigious college.

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm looking at CS as my major, but I need to take a class or something. I tried to get into the class here at my high school, but it was computer science or calculus, and I chose calculus so I could try to raise my GPA (I'm pretty good at math!) Maybe I'll take a summer course at the local college or something...

14. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

G4Scott, Shadowfax

Let us know if you end up at t.u. so we can in to good ole t.u.-Aggie discussion/arguments before the football game :D :D :D

(I'm doing a Master's right now at Texas A&M)

Gig'em Ags!

15. yzeater macrumors regular

One other reason I take AP's. I go Northern Virginia's Magnet / Governor's School. They don't offer IB. I could go to an IB school, but it would suck in comparison in the fields of science and technology

16. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: G4Scott, Shadowfax

UT doesn't bicker much with A&M these days, or so i hear. they beat the crap out of A&M at football games, lately, so the stiff competition is gone. i'm told there is a much more vicious competition with OU, but i wouldn't know. i don't care about college ball, or pros for that matter.

17. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: G4Scott, Shadowfax

I'm sorry to hear that...

My brother already goes to UT, and they beat the hell outta m&a... I was in Austin, but wasn't at the game at the time. I even knew sever aggies who were rooting for UT just to get the m&a coach (slokam?) out of there...

Either way, I can still put up with aggies... Some of them are cool (but not all...) And besides, no everybody's perfect!

Also, we can still make fun of OU!!!

18. Steradian macrumors 6502

hello fellow IBer

Hey Shadow i am also an IB school (SJHA) student and i know quite a bit about the IB program. Hey Shadow have you ever seen this site before, it's soooooooo trueHERE

For all you you who have no idea what IB is, well you should learn, ask around it's a great program and I personally believe that it is superior to AP. :)

Hey Shadow, at our school there is a huge social gap between IBer's and normal students, is this the same at your's???

p.s Ya know we have a quite a bit in common Shadow fax w/ the same PowerBook setup, the same "type" of school and were the same grade a bit odd I must say.
    (maybe you should tell them about the CAS hours+community service that is required)
    PowerBook G4 1ghz

19. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it appears that IB really shapes the entire educational experience, while AP certainly doesn't. so IB versus AP really isn't clear. on one hand, IB really provides a good education, but an excellent student at a public school could take the initiative to take all APs and work just as furiously as an IB student. and then there are good private schools that are just really hard and offer lots of APs. if IB directly gives you college credit though, instead of APs where you'd usually only get credit for a 3 and better, that would certainly be very advantageous.

20. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: hello fellow IBer

Yeah, i think it is superior, mostly, if you are up to the challenge; it is nasty hard, even for those unthinkably smart people. i haven't seen that particular site, but i have seen some of the stuff on it in various manifestations. i find it pretty entertaining, but i usually spend my free time on less IB-oriented stuff, LOL.

IB does a lot more than give you the same sort of thing as AP but with a different name. you pick 6 subjects: 3 Higher levels, and 3 Standard levels, unless you are completely out of your mind (or functionally bi-or trilingual), in which case you can take 4 Higher levels (and 2 SLs). for instance, i am doing History HL, English HL, Comp Sci HL, German SL, Mathematical Methods SL, and Physics SL. you get between a 1 and 7 on each of these exams, 4 being the pass grade. you need a 24 minimum to get a diploma, so it doesn't matter if you fail one, as long as you make up the grade in another. in addition to those 6-42 points you get from that, you get 0-3 bonus points from your "TOK paper" and your "extended essay." These are mandatory papers that every IB diploma candidate must do. the first is a short 1400-1600 word essay that is kind of fluffy--it isn't research oriented at all, though you can and should do some. it is a response to a prompt, of which they give you 10 in your TOK class, where you pick one and respond to it. the prompts are, of course, different every year. by the way, TOK is "Theory of Knowledge," a class that every IB student must go through 2 semesters of. it's where they give you the TOK essay. TOK is the only mandatory class; you can choose all your other exams, within much fewer restrictions than say your high school course in the US.

The extended essay is the whopper--a 3500-4000 word essay that is heavily research-oriented. no prompt here though, it's totally open-ended, with a set of general guidelines (a fairly subjective rubric, that is), plus a more particular rubric for whatever field you write your essay in (there are 24, it's pretty broad-based). I did mine on Quantum Computers, i think i said. It was really fascinating, and my mentor was pretty cool--a mentor being a professional from the field you write your essay in who signs up to sort of help you through the process.

In addition, as Steradian mentioned, each student must do "CAS" hours--150 hours of "stuff" subdivided into 3 subsections: Creativity, Action, and Service. don't think you can get by just doing one, you have to log 50 of each. creativity can consist of a heck of a lot of things, including attending cultural events like plays and ballets--provided you write something about it in your log. also, if you participate in a group that does something like that, or perhaps in a band, you can log that. it's really open ended; it just has to be creative. Action has to be physical activity, and can range from an exercise regimen you have planned out to a week you spent backpacking. Service is pretty obvious. I got mine volunteering about 70 hours at a hospital last summer.

Additionally, you have to do all kinds of internal assessments in each subject you test in throughout the years. in Math Methods, we have 5 HUGE portfolios, where you have this extended mathematical problem you have to solve, explain, analyze, and so on. they take a long time to do, because you have to be really anal about how you document your work--not that you are citing anything, but you have to explain like everything you do. In History HL, you have these 2000 word history papers you have to do... in CS HL, you have a "Dossier" program you have to write that includes all these required concepts in them--for instance, they make you do direct file writing, implement a linked list on your data structure, and so on. the worst for me is the foreign language orals you have to do throughout the year... you study all this stuff to make a presentation in the language you are learning, and then you have to field questions about it. it's pretty annoying for me, personally.

so yeah, IB is a LOT more than AP. it really focuses on students being very "well-rounded," which basically means you have to be a god in 3 subjects and proficient in 3 others. ok, so i am overstating, but let me put it this way. SLs tend to be much easier than AP tests, but still higher than normal high school classes, while HL tests tend to be MUCH harder than APs, particularly in Sciences. CS is probably a good nonexample, and English--well, you need to know it pretty well.

Steradian, what did you do your EE and TOK essay on? what is SJHA? by the way, IB is pretty close-knit at my campus. almost all my friends are IB students, but we are cordial with the non-IBers, and aside from TOK, History, and Physics, all my classes have been AP with "IB extensions"--i.e., they give IB students extra work in the class, but the class remains essentially AP. we have lots of cool IB people who are just great leaders of the student body. Our class president is an IBer... she's also a tennis player and an INCREDIBLE cellist... our school newspaper is co-editored-in-chief (made that up there) by 2 IB girls, one of whom is also an avid golfer; the other is a fabulous artist and additionally the most beautiful girl in our class, not just in my opinion. she went to that UTD Welch chemistry program this summer, doing like original research in nanotechnology and stuff. most of these people aren't arrogant at all--they are very approachable, and don't consider "regular" students beneath them. but when you have all those classes together with a group of 38 people (we ALL take History and english HL, it's mandatory on our campus), you tend to make most of your friends in that group. just as the football players make most of their friends there, and the cheerleaders make most of their friends there, and the drug addicts... ok, enough of that.

by the way, Steradian, you should read Lord of the Rings. my name, shadowfax, comes from there. it's all one word, and refers to the coolest horse ever--i have a history of naming my computer after it, for obvious reasons. anyways, that was far too long a message, sorry guys.

21. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

By the way, Steradian, how do you like your Ti? i take mine to school almost every day--it's great to look up words in German, type notes and papers in class and during lunch and stuff, and i am yet to scratch it at school, though i scratched it once at my grandparents' house. i'm asking for some tipaint for christmas, i am told it works pretty well for that ailment.

so far the "sleep/wake" is one of my favorite features.

[edit]

Holy crap, steradian, we are 1 day apart on birthdays! i am November 20! that is out of this world! are you 1984 too? where were you born?

[/edit]

22. Steradian macrumors 6502

yup yup

Hey shadowfax i have read LOTR it's great, and i understand who he (horse) is and what he help our heros accomplish i am just lazy... er yeah.
    Anyways,
    SJHA stand's for San Jose High Academy, don't let the name fool you our school is VERY poor, our main buget is provided by grant that pays for our IB need's (pay's off more than half the cost of the test's and portfolio's) we have a few drug problems uh yeah. Well this year i am taking Physics HL, English HL, History HL, Methods SL, Spanish SL, TA for the Network Adminstrator, and I took Comp sci laster year in C++. What type of programing are you doing for you dossier???. BTW i would love to take german in place of my Spanish class but the only thing offered were Portuguese, Spanish, and french. verstehen Sie?
    :D

As for my wundervoll Tibook i have only brought it to school 4 times, it is too soon for me too have a chance of having it lost or stolen, or or . You get the point.
    The first Time i brought in myTi-Book it was too show the teacher i TA for. Get this during my 6th period (hole) I get to run around and trouble shoot all the teachers machines, install OSX .2, do memory upgrades, update systems, and replace CAT5 cable. My current project is intalling Timbuktu on all the machines in da school. I just finished upgrading the memory modules in 65 ibook;s :) er yeah i am a big geek.
    p.s. my friend scored tickets to the 2 towers pre showing Im gunna see it tommarrow @1:30 :)
    Are you familiar w/ youth and government in our bill we are attempting to replace all AP programs w/ IB and MYP programs. I have the bill read if ya wanna read it. Ok well i have "said" enough i have a English commentary on Hamlet on monday so enjoy your weekend

PowerBook G4 1ghz (you know the one)

23. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: yup yup

eh, what a life, lol. we are such geeks. i am messing about with Fink, myself, though i am not too handy with it. GIMP is tight, but i find photoshop much simpler to manage, so i do any "real" work there. as for my Dossier, i am doing bibliography formatting and sorting. so it will so far take inputs of various pieces of information and format them as a bibliography. the info is in a struct (i was too lazy to write a class, and it doesn't need a class anyways, so since IB doesn't require it, why bother? even with the linked list implementation i really don't need a class.), which i use a quicksort to alphabetize by author's last name. at this point, all it does is books, but i would like to extend it to reference and internet sources as well. it outputs the list finally into an HTML file (so it could use italics) that you can copy and paste into a paper. kinda saves the trouble of going and looking up MLA format, though by now most of my friends and i know it all by heart (god that makes me feel horrible!).

got any Xserves at the school?

[edit] by the way, if you have time, i highly recommend Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet from 1996. it is very long, but about as good as reading the play if you watch it twice. assuming you have read the play though, it should help you to understand the play a lot better. it's a fabulous movie. [/edit]

24. Steradian macrumors 6502

OMG

This is a bit too weird for me but your birthday is the day after mine! lol
    Yeah, well our school dosen't have any Xserves :( but we have a raid Array and 4 powerMac G4 towers 800 and up, and yes i know ALL the passwords :). As for good ole hamlet, i will run to blockbuster tommarrow after i get back from the two towers and watch it ;) Don't feel too bad about the MLA standards, i have a quick referance book "diane saywers a writers refferance" handy in my locker, right next to y Ti-89 manual.

P.S What cha doing is physics right now??? and do you have AIM?

PowerBook G4 1ghz

25. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: OMG

i am sh4d0wf4x on AIM, IM me at will. i'm just now getting into proteus myself.

we just finished mechanics, though it's really a pretty shoddy class. not that i give it much time anyway. i got a 4 on the AP somehow (insert "miracle of god" here). i got a 5 on the IB...:rolleyes:

you get kinda whatever about it after awhile, eh? i do best in history myself. granted, i have been straight a's in every class except calculus since my freshman year, but history is the grooviest a because it really is the hardest.