international compatibility

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by peter beatty, Apr 5, 2003.

1. peter beatty macrumors newbie

hi there,

just a quick question. is there any difference in powerbooks produced for the US from those made for UK markets. i'm considering buying one over the net from the states as somewhat cheaper, but not sure if it will be setup okay to work here. also, if its new and unused will i be able to legally register the warranty?

any help gratefully recieved.

pete

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: international compatibility

I'd bet that the differences would be:

1. Different keyboards. Although the US and UK both use English, I'm sure there would be subtle differences between the keyboards.

2. Different power plugs. The transformer would be the same, but the actual plug would be different. All you would need is a travel adapter (i.e. US ---> UK). Shouldn't cost more than $5.

3. The software packages included may be different. This one is just a guess on my part.

The warranty issue is kind of tricky. I would like to think that your warranty (1 year) would be transferrable to the UK, since Apple has operations over there. But the reality is that it probably wouldn't be covered.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

The main difference I notice is on the British pressing shift and 3 makes a £ and on the American keyboard it makes a #. Infact all the symbols appear to be jumbled at the top compared to the American keyboard. I think the software package is almost exactly similar.

4. Wano macrumors 6502

I am also in the same boat. Except for I live in the US and I go back to Sweden every summer. My reltaives that I stay with all use apples, my cousin has a 1ghz tiBook, would I be able to use the power adapter for it on my 17"PB? Thanks!

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Most electronic devices come with AC adapters that are rated for 100-240V, 50-60Hz. I would think that the 17"PB has such an adapter as well. With this kind of adapter, you'd be able to use just about any power outlet in any country.

The only thing that you'd need is a plug adapter so that you could actually plug it into the wall. If you bought your PB in America, then you would need an adapter that goes from US plugs to Swedish plugs.

I took my Sony digital camera with me to Europe last fall, and I was able to use the charger without any problems. All I needed was a US ---> Europe adapter.

6. Wano macrumors 6502

Cool..thanks! Last summer I used a home-made adapter my grandfather made for my camcorder....although it was kind of dangerous since wires were exposed a little bit. But,if anything this summer i'll tape it up with electrical tape and use it for my PB asuming that it works with the voltage in sweden.

7. Noiseboy macrumors regular

All power supplies that are intelligent will say so on the unit, certainly the powerbook adapters are universal but it is well worth getting the appropriate plug adapter. 120 volts will give you a nasty surprise but 220 volts has a kick like a mule and is to be avoided at all costs, usually between $5 and $10;)

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Wano,

I would suggest that you NOT use that "homemade" adapter with your Powerbook. Especially since plug adapters are so inexpensive. Just go to any travel type store and get a US ---> Sweden adapter. Sweden probably uses standard European plugs (two round prongs about an inch apart).

9. Wano macrumors 6502

Yeah I guess so..hehe...either that or my cousins PB plug. And you are right about the plug, it's two round pins about an inch apart.