International Election Observators denied access to counting process in florida/ohio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Oct 22, 2004.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

link in german

hmm only in one flordia county they got permittance to observate it..

Miami-Dade, Fort Lauderdale and Broward didn't even bother to answer to the requests....

come on it's worse enough that the US needs international observers...but blocking them is even worse....

god damn it... it's the US they should should have less problems with their elections..how many threads do we already have about election-problems here and there ?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh for....

How does this make us any different from your typical two-bit dictatorship?

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-takao

Well, the US has long had international election observers during elections, and not just the presidential ones every four years. For example, there were international observers present at the polling stations for the city/state elections in Chicago, Illinois in '02. It is just standard operating procedure.

Secondly, there has always been and will likely always be election problems as it is nearly impossible to make sure every person who votes - measured in the millions - knows how, can read, can follow directions, etc, and complicate that with local elections of mayors, city councilmen, and further complicate that with local laws that tweak the ballots. This is why we have a statistical margin for error.

It's just that the issue is exacerbated during a close election because that magin overlaps and it 'fuzzes' the confidence in the results. Frankly, I prefer landslides because it removes this doubt.

However, your point of denying these observers I find disturbing. I see no reason why this would happen. Very fishy.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, it's almost like they think no one is looking. Only half of us aren't. Hopefully a lot of those people won't vote, so it wouldn't matter how much they cheat. If Bush were a better president, they wouldn't have to pull stuff like this. Amazing how they keep thinking they'll get away with it.

I keep hearing how the Democrats are doing the same things, but I don't see it. The worst they've done is try to get Nader off the ballot.