International Keyboard Layouts (Windows to OS X)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by snowfall, Apr 7, 2005.

1. snowfall macrumors member

So I finally made the switch over to Apple with my lovely new 12" Powerbook, however I'm running into a small switching problem.

At times I need to type in Portuguese, which I had taught myself to do on Windows using the Portuguese (Brazilian ABNT) layout, which you can view here http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbdbr.htm

Mac OS X uses the option key to do accents and special characters, i.e. it's not the same, and I'd rather not have to learn a new keyboard scheme. In another thread, I also saw Rainer Brockerhoff's USInternational keyboard layout for typing portuguese, but that's a different layout too.

Any ideas where I can get a keyboard layout like the Brazilian ABNT layout?

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Open System Preferences, go to the International preference pane, go to the Input Menu tab, and select the keyboard style that you need.

Since I'm not familiar with the keyboard style that you need, look through those and see if it's there.

3. snowfall thread starter macrumors member

Found it!

Thanks for the reply Blackheart,

Apple ships with a separate keyboard style for Brazilian Portuguese, as far as I can tell it's identical to the default north american keyboard.

I finally sucked it up and googled for it in portuguese (unfortunately, still not the fastest for me) and found that Rainer Brockerhoff seems to have offered a solution elsewhere. The ABNT keyboard template, more or less, can be downloaded here:

http://www.brockerhoff.net/usi/Brasileiro.rsrc.sit

with instructions and discussion (naturalmente, em português!) here:

Teclado "Brasileiro" para Jaguar

Thanks again!