Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
For those that have the beta, can anyone comment on whether the new map app displays transliterated location names for countries like Japan?

In Google Maps, location names in Japan are displayed in English, with smaller Japanese text underneath. For example, Tokyo Station is labeled "Tokyo 東京", which is awesome for those of us foreigners who are still learning kanji. So does the new map app do this as well, or is it all English (or worse, all Japanese)?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Anybody? It should only take about thirty seconds to check ... Please?

Appears to be all in Japanese at the moment.

Attachments

• tokyo_station.png
    tokyo_station.png
    801.7 KB · Views: 147

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Appears to be all in Japanese at the moment.

Thanks for checking that for me, I appreciate it! :)

Unfortunately, that's even worse than I was afraid it would be. :( In fact, it's absolutely worthless in its current state. I hope Google Maps is available as a standalone app, because I actually use it daily and this new map app is awful.

I'm attaching the same view in Google Maps so you can see the difference. It's almost as though Apple spent about three minutes on their map of Tokyo, as opposed to Google, who seems to actually give a damn about non-US markets.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    414.8 KB · Views: 140

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I didn't try London specifically, but most of the UK looks poor to me. Nowhere near as much detail as Google and some roads were missing or incomplete.

Cheruman

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2007
I didn't try London specifically, but most of the UK looks poor to me. Nowhere near as much detail as Google and some roads were missing or incomplete.

This is what I was afraid of :( I know it's beta but I can't see Apple's Map app being anywhere as good (outside the USA) as Google for a while, I hope Google release a standalone app with all the features of the one currently used in iOS 5.

If they don't (and I hate to say it), this is a deal-breaker between getting the iPhone 5 or switching to Android.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Agreed. I don't want to lose core functionality like this, so it's either be stuck on iOS5 forever or jump ship to Android. :( Never thought I'd see the day ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.