International Presidential Favorite?

Discussion in 'Community' started by cslewis, Oct 24, 2004.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

we had a few discussions about this topic in the political sub forum ..you might want to check it out (at your own risk of course)

there were a few polls recently published.. i think you can count all nations where the people support bush with 5 fingers ...

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

oh well i want bush to win. but i am a tory. i just think kerry is a bit of a slime ball and obviously i agree more with bush's policies.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He probably is a slime ball, but I'm voting for him anyway. After the Iraq debacle, I dislike Bush that much. (watching for this thread to quickly move into the political discussion)

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I think most people in the Netherlands want Clinton to win the election

6. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Here you go. This should give you a pretty good idea of international opinion.

Needless to say, America's reputation has taken a nosedive under Bush's presidency.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

lol! a lot of americans want that too ;)

i'm in the US, but Kerry seems to be the international favorite. Which should be no surprise-- Most countries seem a little less than thrilled about watching the UN get bypassed and decreasing the stability of an entire region and oil industry. Seems that the US is one of the few countries that want out of the UN. There's a lot of signs and bumperstickers lately, "get the US out of the UN". Methinks some people need to brush up on their history before condemning the institution...

paul

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Hilary Clinton 2008!

I would have liked to see John Edwards or Howard Dean as Presidential candidate for the Democrats. Kerry is ok, but boy is he stiff!

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Even some Democrats, and a lot of Independants, don't like Hillary. And it has nothing to do with the fact that she is a woman. Dean would have been good. I'm surprised he lost. A Dean/McCain ticket, and this race would have been over before it started. Too bad it would never have happened.

If it was Dean vs. McCain, I probably wouldn't vote. I'd feel ok either way.

10. relimw macrumors 6502a

I think one reason for this, is a lot of people see the UN as just yet another endless bureaucracy. Constantly passing resolutions which it never enforces.
    (Or at least that is the impression the UN gives to me.)

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I completely agree with you. the U.N. Security Council is a joke. I think that Taem America:World Police shows this well.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

And who exactly would they get to attack Israel, who had many times more infractions than Iraq did. Unfortunately the UN was designed with only one major weapon: the US. So we get to pick and choose. It just gets in the way, apparently, when Kofi says to wait a bit. And look, the UN was right-- it wasn't depending on spun intelligence.

But I can understand the impression. It's a great organization at heart, but it's become way too dependent on the US. They're nothing without us, unfortunately. But presidents like Clinton worked with the UN to a much larger degree, which translated to better international ratings. Kerry = Clinton's successor, so I stand by my assessment.

paul