International setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeSnousa, Nov 27, 2006.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Hey I enrolled into French at university and so I need to know the best possible solution for equipping my iBook for French. I mainly need to know how to do the accents and have a French dictionary while typing. My current solution is to change the system preferences to French to get the dictionary to work in French (i.e. while using Text Edit). However this does not work out to be productive as the whole system is in French.

Also what is the best way to type accents, should I change the keyboard layout to French in System Prefrences, or use the shortcuts? (What are the shortcuts anyway?)

Really just need to understand how to use a diffrent language on a English iBook. What is your solution and/or what do you recommend?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

You can put the Input Menu in your menu bar (from International preferences) and pick them out of the character palette but it is easier to learn to type them. The list is here. You can change the dictionary in any application that has spelling.

3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

That's a great reference. Being that french is a romance language, just typing it is easy without really changing anything in the system prefs.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you put the Keyboard Viewer in your Input Source list, you can always check. Word has a separate preference to allow accented uppercase letters.