International Shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vouder17, Nov 9, 2004.

1. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I have a problem, i Really need a new computer, and i am short of money, and the prices in South Africa for an iMac are HUGE. So i came up with an idea, i have a friend in the states who can buy it for me and then ship it down here via UPS, that way i will save almost R5000 ($800). So now i would like to know, is this what i am doing illegal, has anyone else pulled this off, how much is sales tax in the states especially Vermont?

Please can anyone help
    Thanks
    DjVoTeZ

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

It is not illegal but you'll probably have to pay import tax (which can be substantial). Will you run into 250vs110V and 50vs60Hz problems? Someone on this forum fried his computer with that. Though my G5 seems to ahave a sensing power supply.

3. vouder17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Yeah i heard about that problem well it shouldn't be a problem.... I hope. I will look out for it. Would you know how much sales tax is or where i could find the info for this.

Thanks
    DjVoTeZ

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Vermont is 6%, better have someone order it in Delaware :p

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.html

5. lalcan macrumors regular

I guess the problem is not with the USA tax, but with the local import tax, any carrier will handle it for you (with a fee), but will definitely ask for you to pay the import tax, here (Mexico) the import tax comes around 15%, so it's almost the same as buying a Mac in any local store...

If there is proof that the Mac will leave USA usually they can refund you the USA local tax you might have payed.

There should be info on the import tax in your local IRS page.

Greetings and good luck!

6. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

If you claim that the item being shipped is a gift then there usually is no import tax (because by nature, a gift is free!). Check local laws in your country.

BEN

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....not really true....in many countries, Canada for one, a gift can still be subject to taxes as it comes in the country.

As to the original question - I suggest you check with your local customs/excise bureau - they will be able to tell you what may be charged upon importation....or try a search - chances are they have a website with general info as most governments do nowadays....oh yeah!

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

customs and taxes have to be paid for all imports, unless the real-world value is about $50 or less. find out how much your country charges you and then see if it saves you money or not. AND, ask your friend to open the box before he sends the computer to you, just to check where the unit is ACTUALLY been made. if customs think it's been made in U.S.A. you probably would have to pay more customs than if you can prove the thing has been made in taiwan for example. it so happens to be that customs are not calculated from where the package has been sent but where the product has originally been made.

apple's are generally "designed in california" but manufactured somewhere else.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

most countries have limits on what the value of a "tax free" gift can be.....and it's usually in the range of $30 to $60 dollars.....you'll pay tax if the value of the "gift" exceeds that limit