International SMS using iChat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr. Monsieur, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how I could go about sending an international SMS via iChat? I've typed in a new card, used the AIM as opposed to .mac account, using both the country code (+7) followed by the local number, as well as prefacing it with (+011) and then the (7) (all without brackets, of course, and no spaces)...neither way seems to work!

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I'd be interested if you get it to work - never knew you could do this. But, are you sure you've got the country code right? Most codes are double figures, and a quick look in the phone book shows +7 being...well...Kazakstan. Just a thought.

3. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502

well...i use it to text friends all the time (and they can text me back to the computer, too!) +7 is actually the country code for Russia...Kazakstan may share it as well...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I looked this up once and was under the impression that the SMS gateway was only implemented for the US and Canada through AIM.... If your friends have an AIM mobile client that actually places them online on AIM from their phone, that's a different matter. MSN also has the option to put in your phone number and link your phone to your MSN Messenger account. I don't know if that's more international?

If you can do SMS via a cell phone number internationally, originating in the US, I too would be very interested. :)

5. Gee macrumors 65816

Ah cool. So....how does one go about sending an SMS through iChat?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    As far as I remember, instead of starting a chat by typing in a name, you put in the mobile number you want to send the message to. But I've never yet got it to work with any UK mobile numbers so I'm not totally au fait with it :(

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the US/Canada, you type in the phone number with country and area code and no punctuation, so that if your number were (303) 555-1212, you would type in +13035551212 -- but AFAIK, that service on AIM only works only for US/Canada cells. At least, I tried it with a friend in the Netherlands and it did not work. :( It worked for me sending to my own phone. The message I got on the phone looked like:

8. toothpaste macrumors 6502

My brother send me messages on ichat all the time, and they look exactly like the one posted above. I was under the impression this is only a US/Canada feature only. I could be wrong and if so, please tell how to make it work internationally. :)

9. hondak24 macrumors newbie

Any updates on sending SMS to cellphones outside US and Canada?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan