Internet banks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Demon Hunter, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

What do you think of them? I'm about to open an account with HSBCdirect.com. The rate is 5.05% APY! My bank offers me 0.75% at best (money market).

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

ING Direct works for me. I've had my account for about 4 years and what a great rate - just went up from 4.25% APY last month to 4.35% APY this month. :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, ING where I live pays 5.6%. I really don't see the negative side to all of this internet banking business. ;)

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

As long as it's a respectable bank you've heard of before it should be fine. HSBC or ING are very reputable banks and you should have nothing to worry about.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G3

rhett7660

ING customer here. Have been for about six years now. No complaints at all.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm an ING customer, but only for a savings account. It gives me better rates, and also not having instant access to my money is a plus. It forces me to think about taking money out of the savings. Its a multi-day operation to transfer from the ING savings account to my Bank of America checking account.

7. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Did anyone else notice the date of this thread. My tip off was the interest rates people were citing! I was thinking (before looking at the dates) "how are these people getting these rates"? I also bank with ING, however the rate is currently around a percent :)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would stick with names you know. I was weary of ING but they were giving away $50 to become a customer, this was before they were even FDIC insured. (yes I'm old) As it turned out, the $50 they gave me, the $200 I put into the account just to see if they were going to lose it, and many years later ... I like them.

I have an orange checking and a savings. The savings is a savings, the "checking" is just some play money.

They're amazing with fraudulent activity as well. I once got duped by a company that sounded like my credit card company (Capital One versus Capital One Rewards), this Cap One Rewards sold me on something stupid, it was inane of me. In short, $700 later and a **** ton of magazine subscriptions to Latina weekly and lord knows what else, I called ING. Explained what I know I signed up for (stupidly) but what I did not sign up for and they refunded 90% of the funds, cancelled the card immediately and swapped accounts for me. I had a new card in 3 days and a new account in minutes.

I do have a couple traditional banks, a local bank and one my family can get to if ever a need. However, I truly love ING. They were paying interest on my savings even when interest wasn't really being paid.

No :eek:

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have both ING and HSBC high-yield accounts, linked, with HSBC also having my chequing account. :)

10. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I've heard REALLY good things about ING, I'm contemplating the move from E*TRADE.

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I've had an ING savings account for about four years now and I've never had a problem with them. I also have one of their "Orange Checking" accounts and it's pretty handy. Free online bill pay, you can cut checks to people for free, or if they trust you enough to give you their bank routing number and account number, you can send individuals an electronic deposit. They also have a ton of free ATMs if you want cash. I don't use the ING accounts for my daily use, but I do use them for savings and my emergency fund. It's an out of the way place to stash my money, but I can get to it quickly with the checking account debit card.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have ING for investments. Love it. Very professionally ran IMO and ease of use. The ShareBuilder app for the iPhone is pretty awesome too.

13. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I've had an ING savings account for a little over 7 years, I signed up for checking as soon as it was available. I got rid of my accounts at other banks and use ING exclusively with no problems.

The iPhone app is handy too.

14. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

ING savings, E*trade stocks, and pnc checking here. I've found nirvana. Go for it...