internet connect cant open!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by slipper, Mar 6, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

internet connect cant open! does this mean i will have to reinstall the entire OS?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

A little more detail please? In what way can't it open? What OS are you running?

Two things you could try if you have not done so already are repairing permissions (Go to Applications/Utilites/Disk Utility, select your disk and click the 'Repair Disk Utilities' button) and deleting the Internet Connect preference file (located at Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconnect.plist).

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

this thread is for OSX 10.3...
    anyways whenever i select internet connect from the airport icon menu, the computer 'waits' a little while as if its attempting to open internet connect but then NOTHING.
    also, i tried looking for the preference file but its not there, is it supposed to be there?

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Yes, whoops, I should have checked that.

Are you sure you looked in the right preferences folder? I'm not sure if you've successfully opened Internet Connect in the past, but if you have, then it should certainly be in the user preferences folder (go to your user's home and then from there go to Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconnect.plist). Not being there will not be the cause of a problem though, because the application will be able to recreate the file.

Also, did you try repairing permissions like I suggested in my last post? Corrupted preferences and permission problems are generally the two biggest causes of software problems.

Failing those two things though, try answering these questions so that we can understand more about what's going on.
    1. Is the application actually on your system? It should be in your applications folder.
    2. If yes, can you open the application from the applications folder in Finder?
    3. When you try to open it, do you see the icon bounce in the Dock at all as if it is opening, and then have it's icon disappear, or does it just do nothing?