Internet connection iMac OS B1 - 8.5.18.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haute@tiscali.c, Nov 12, 2006.

1. haute@tiscali.c macrumors newbie

I have recently acquired one the the above imacs as an interesting learning tool. No previous experience of Mac computers. Dare I day on this forum that I normally use XP and have a networked Broadband connection with two computers (now 3 with the iMac), using a Netgear ADSL Modem..

After a lot of messing about I have managed get the iMac to send and receive emails which is a great step forward. However I am still struggling the following error message "An error occurred loading the MS Internet (PPC)Library. Re-installing should solve the problem".
    I cannot find any reference to such a library on the computer or in any of the literature I have got which includes "Sad Macs Bombs and other Disasters".

I would be grateful if someone could cast some light on this for me.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Well, MS is normally Microsoft. Are you trying to connect using Internet Explorer? At what point do you get the error?

PS OSX is a little nicer than 8.1 as a modern mac experience ;-)

3. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Internet Connection iMac 8.5

Hi thanks for spotting my problem.
    The time seems out of synch!.

Yes the iMac has Internet Explorer 5.1.

I click on a desktop "browse the internet" icon, the introductory IE 5.1 open nd immediately the error message comes up. I have looked in "extensions" and checked everything that looks to be remotely connected with Internet Access.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is it solved now you have corrected the time?

5. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Internet Connection iMac 8.5

Sorry. Thats the penalty for confusing the issue by making irrelevent comments. I was actually referring to the time of the posting which is nothing like the time that I made it. - nothing to do with my iMac computer - Apologies.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can you try netscape (which should also be on the machine), if not want about iCab (use a USB stick to get it on) ?

7. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Internet Access iMac 8.5

Unfortunately No Netscape and I do not have a stick. Downloaded Netscape on my PC but the iMac does not like it.

I would prefer to stick with Internet Explorer 5.1 which is installed nd solve this problem regarding the "libraries" if anyone could please assist.

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Buy 8.6 or better.

I had a lot, and i mean a lot of grief trying to get my old Mac, which i gave to my sister, on0line with a normal NTL cable modem.

The update discs are very cheap, phone Apple for them, they WILL NOT display them on the Apple online store but they will have them.

I upgraded said imac to 9.1 for the sum of around £14 ($20?) and that is about as far as you can go. (Classic ended at 9.22)

Buy some more RAM too.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Mac OS 8.6 is a free update to 8.5.x. You want it. It can be downloaded here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60283

Forget about Internet Explorer. It is garbage, and is not the same as Internet Explorer for PC (and never was). Get Mozilla 1.3.1, which is the highest version for Mac OS 8.6. There are two distributions you can try:

The Unofficial Mozilla for Mac OS Classic

and

WaMCom Web and Mail Communicator

If the Microsoft PPC Libraries are missing, then there is nothing you can do without downloading the IE installer anyway. It has nothing to do with your OS, or your connection, but rather the crappy Microsoft product that you are trying to use. Microsoft can't seem to get out of the mindset of installing tons of extensions into the System Folder with all of it's products, which is generally not how most Mac apps work. Think DLL on PCs. You are missing the Microsoft-specific ones.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As you have no internet on the iMac you are going to need a USB stick or burn a CD to get the data on, the Mac should be able to read the PC formatted CD, if you don't have any blank CD's, USB sticks are very cheap (like £10 or less) so you might as well buy one.

11. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Very grateful for all your suggestions. I will plug away at it.

12. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the suggestions which prompted me to use an iMac DV Software install disc I had. This successfully installed Netgear Communicator 4.61 which works just as quickly as my main XP computer. Not quite sorted the Netgear equivalent of Outlook Express, although that did appear briefly to disappear somewhere, but Outlook Express 5.1 is working fine.

If anyone is interested in the process I wuld be pleased to spell it out in detail.
    Can I delete IE 5.1 by dropping the desk top icon in the Trash Can or does something more have to be done?.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That depends on whether or not it is an alias to the original program. If the text of the icon is in italics, then it is just an alias (shortcut) and the IE program exists elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you bother to download any of the apps and updates we suggested? Also, you can find Netscape 4.8 (the latest version of the 4.x series) all over the place. You should update to that, as well as to Mac OS 8.6. It's all free. Free bugfixes and code optimizations.

14. haute@tiscali.c thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for the extra information.

Why: I looked at the links and was not sure what to do.

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Download the software mentioned?