Internet connection sharing not working :S

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by biggeek76, Feb 8, 2007.

1. biggeek76 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am trying to share an internet connect with my xp home pc laptop through my intel iMac. Went through the usual channels of system preferences>sharing>internet sharing but that didn't fully work... and then I read the entire networking mac and pc forum (great thread btw), but that didn't really cover what I was looking for. I have used that successfully however. Also looked around the internet unsuccessfully.
    :confused:

Anyways, what I have now is the pc will acknowledge that something is plugged into it and that something is the belkin wireless router.
    I get an internal ip address of 192.168.2.x with a default gateway of 192.168.2.1.

strange thing is though, is that even though my mac is handing out an ip address, it isn't able to ping the pc or vise versa.

The two computer are connect with a cat 5 cable.

I've released/renewed/rebooted both computers many times.

Anything simple that I'm missing? or...

Thanks for you help!

2. dukeman macrumors member

try setting up static IP's. Also some PC's wont let you direct connect without using a crossover cable. Most macs will let you though, so that also might be a problem. Why dont you just connect the pc or mac right to the router? Save you a lot of time an agitation.

3. biggeek76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... can't do a router though, I'm not feeding off of my own wireless connection.

Strange, I went thru boot camp and set up internet connection sharing on the windows side, and that works great.