Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harpjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I cannot go on-line after connecting the Suddenlink cable fom the external modum to my iMac G5. The same cable is currently providing servive to my HP Laptop, withput problems. How do I configure the iMac?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I cannot go on-line after connecting the Suddenlink cable fom the external modum to my iMac G5. The same cable is currently providing servive to my HP Laptop, withput problems. How do I configure the iMac?

You needed a router to connect more than one computer to a modem, besides the modem do you have a router?

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008

just because the modem works with the hp - you cant assume that it will work with the imac.
you need to confirm that the specific modem is supported with the version of macos you are using.
for example when i got my imac g5 als back in 2005 i used an existing work laptop intel adsl modem.
it would work fine for an hour or 2 and the the mac would blue screen with the fans running full tilt.
looking on the intel site told me the modem didnt support tiger.
I ended up buying a low cost router - provides a lot more flexibility so if you can afford that it's probably well worth it.

harpjw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Additional info

just because the modem works with the hp - you cant assume that it will work with the imac.
you need to confirm that the specific modem is supported with the version of macos you are using.
for example when i got my imac g5 als back in 2005 i used an existing work laptop intel adsl modem.
it would work fine for an hour or 2 and the the mac would blue screen with the fans running full tilt.
looking on the intel site told me the modem didnt support tiger.
I ended up buying a low cost router - provides a lot more flexibility so if you can afford that it's probably well worth it.

The modem work very well with the iMac before I had a new hard drive installed. I have been using the PC laptop while the iMac was having it's oil changed.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Have you tried looking on the SuddenLink web site for support information on setting up a Mac with their provided modem? I tried looking but it requires a zip code and since I don't know where you're located I couldn't get anywhere. If you'll post your zip code and the model of modem I'll see what I can find for you.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
The modem work very well with the iMac before I had a new hard drive installed. I have been using the PC laptop while the iMac was having it's oil changed.

ah ok - that paints a different picture.

have you run any updates to MacOS in between it working and now? it might be the case that something has changed based on any update you've done.

agree with DewGuy1999 - you need to look on the modem manufacturers site to see if your iMac is supported.

----------------------
Did you reinstall MacOS when you swapped the new drive in? If you did - can you be sure the system is exactly the same as it was when the modem was working? for example drivers needed for the modem to work - if needed where they replaced?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.