internet connection

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LTS, Feb 21, 2003.

1. LTS macrumors newbie

I am getting a Mac from work for home. OSX G4. I’ve got broadband at home, but through an internal ADSL modem on my PC (hisssss).

Question 1, can I connect my mac to my pc and connect to the internet through the Microsoft box,

Question 2, if I can, is it a good idea or should I just get another USB modem for the Mac

Question 3, Any suggestions as to the best way I can have an internet connection for both the mac and pc without forking out a load of cash would be appreciated

2. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Are you using XP on the PC? If so, you could do internet connection sharing.

3. LTS thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, have xp

so i don't need any new hardware or software?
    (except for a crossover cable?)

4. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

yes, although your XP box must be on for the internet connection sharing to work. It's probably easier to get a $50 router so that your ibook can access the internet even when your pc is off.

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Yeah, getting a router would save a lot of headaches. You don't want to lose the connection for your iBook everytime the PC is turned off. They aren't that expensive now. You can price them at different stores, or if you don't mind the having to have the PC running to get on the internet, save your money.

6. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Netopia have some very nice routers, i have one in a setup kind of similar to this and it works great.