Internet Connects Automatically!?!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wano, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I don't know what is going on but my internet will automatically connect...like just out of the blue. i have no idea what is going on, it's kind of funny, but after a while it gets annoying.

anyone have any tips?
    Thanks!

2. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

One Idea...

Many programs are internet enabled. Meaning that they will periodiclly try to accecc the internet for various reasons. Such culprits include anti virus preograms and email programs. You need to find which program it is and disable this "feature". There is usually a setting somewhere that you change from "connect automaticlly" to "connect manually".

If you use fax software, it may be trying to redail...just a thought

Apple's Software Updater is another culprit I've heard people mention.

Hope this helps

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

if you're on cable or DSL, it's preferravble to be perpetually online. but i guess with dial-up, it means redundant online time. get broadband already.

4. szark macrumors 68030

szark

You should also check to see if you have time synchronization (NTP) enabled. That might be another possible culprit.

5. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

it actually happens even if i don't have anything at all open. i am running 56k and the reason for that is because DSL is not available in our area...we live about 5 min out of city limits.

6. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Satellite IS 56k. Atleast for upload it is, so no one should honnestly consider it a real solution.

BEN

8. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

In your network preferences under PPP options, there is a checkmark for "connect automatically to the internet". Uncheck it. From then on, any application, whether running in the background or not, will try to connect, can't, and will quit. You'll have to manually connect to the internet when you launch your browser/email, though.