Internet cuts out for 10 secs, heard of this.......

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tjcampbell, Dec 14, 2006.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Hello,

I have a new Netgear modem/router and Bulldog broadband here in London. About every ten minutes to every hour my Internet will disconnect for about ten seconds.

It's really frustrating because it prevents me from online gaming, it's frustrating on skype and has boned me several times on ebay.

I used to have a linksys router and I replaced it with the netgear (convinced that was the problem). Wrong. Still happens. I have a MBP and an iBook, both are wireless, but I have tried using them wired. Same things happens. After a bit of surfing I'll go to open a window and it will just hang there, page not found, all my downloads will stop etc.... Then in five to ten seconds it will connect.

I have contacted Bulldog broadband many times. And each time they cut my Internet off for a week while they run tests and each time they tell me that they see no problems and that it's my router and / or computers. Well, I did buy the new modem / router because of this and I thought the problem would be solved, but it isn't.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there a solution? Thanks for your help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, it really sounds like it's their end. This is the sort of thing you pay ISPs for - to maintain your connection. What makes me think it's their end?

• Well, it's the same whether you're connected through wires or wireless
    • A new router didn't help.
    • More than one computer is experiencing this.

I'd get back onto them about fixing it, or change to a new provider. To make sure it's not a problem with the local cabling, maybe ask some of your neighbours if they get the same problem with their broadband (if they have it). :)

3. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, in the meantime, have you only tried Netgear? Maybe test a different brand of router/modem to see if it gets any further. I doubt it will, but at least you can go back to Bulldog and tell them you've tried different routers. :)

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's a pain if you're LLU'd when you have to cease and reprovide currently. If you're on datastream, it should be a MAC code with only a few minutes of downtime. ;)

6. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Yeah, I tried a Linksys.

I deliberately bought the Netgear Dg834g because it's the only that Bulldog customer service will acknowledge.

Hey when the Internet works it's great. But the cutting out is extremely frustrating.

I guess my only option will be to contact other ISP's.

Cheers, Tom

7. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Funny, I was just reading an article on BBC news: New Rules for Broadband Switchers

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

It might be worth looking on the adslguide message boards where the members have a freakishly good knowledge of ISP problems etc - that should let you find out whether it's a common problem with Bulldog or if anyone else has had it and fixed it.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Your problem IS Bulldog! I wouldn't touch them with a PC. They've been on Watchdog for crap service and even crappier customer service. We have it at work and we are paying for 8mb but only receiving 4mb because the nearest exchange is in Birmingham while we are in Sheffield. Also the speed drops to about dial up speed every so often. It is truly pants! For your info Pipex bought Bulldog. It cant get much worse but be warned.

10. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

that happens to me aswell! we swapped router and it worked perfectally!

11. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

That is very funny! Nice one. You made my day.

Okay, I'm going to hunt for a better ISP.

Suggestions for a London ISP?

Cheers, Tom

12. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Great timing. Says is doesn't go into effect until February though. Still, I'll see what I can swing.

Thanks for that :) Cheers, tom

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've been looking at switching to Be as they offer the fastest ADSL I have seen. Depends if your exchange is enabled though. Ask around on some ADSL forums.

14. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im moving house in June and Im going with Be. Only because Blueyonder/Telewest dont service my new street (but they service the one 20 yards away). :rolleyes:

I prefer cable to ADSL but the speed/price comparison with Be is great. I mean 24mb :eek:

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

If any of you are going Be, please use my username at gmail as your referrer and we'll both get a freebie month ;)

16. Queso macrumors G4

Tell me about it. NTL have service along our street, except they've never come into our building, so all our flats can't get cable. They sent round a thing about ten years ago asking whether residents wanted cable TV, but thanks to our already-installed shared satellite dish system, nobody responded. Note this was all way before broadband started. Now they use that survey as the reason they won't allow any of us to sign up.

Not too bad though. Our exchange is under the Post Office Tower, which is one street down and two over. So our DSL speeds are at least what we pay for.

17. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

My ISP does that at 3:00am every night. It takes 4-5 minutes to reconnect and the ISP told me that their servers do an automatic IP release at that time for all users.

Also on a similar problem i had where the connection would drop randomly for any amount of time, the ISP came and installed a small 'filter' unit in between the router and the phone line and that did the trick. But i don't know if our problems are related.

But the things you hear from their tech-support are often ridiculous. When i asked them why the wireless router provided by them didn't work as wireless, their respond was "Oh, your phone-line doesn't support that"!. :D :rolleyes:

18. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

I had an issue a year ago that the cable modem would overheat under heavy internet access (not the router) and it would drop out every few minutes... until the power was cycled.

If the line is clean, have them replace the modem.

Another possiblity is your wireless router overheating and cutting out - though this would be less frequent.

19. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I will certainly do that.

I just checked out their site, problem is my phone line is a Bulldog one as tey migrated it from BT. This means I have to switch it back over before I can connect to BE. I'm going to wait until the holiday rush is over then I will look at my options. If I do go with be I will definitely put you down as the reference.

cheers, tom :)

20. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I wont be getting it until June at the earliest but If i remember I will. I wish Leopard would hurry up so I can make myself a 'note'. :D

I really like Telewest/NTL I have never had any issues and it is the only ISP that is uncapped at a reasonable speed. Plus you get webspace etc. Even though Be is 24mb I would be happy to stick with Telewest at my new place even on 4mb if they offered it. I should be rewarded for brand loyalty or something. Someone give me a crown! :D

Actually you mentioned the shared satellite system. My new place will have a shared digital system which has to be Sky if Telewest dont service the street so maybe SkyBroadband is an option. It does look tempting but with not knowing my new phone number I cant tell if I am able to receive ADSL from ANY provider.