Internet disconnects when PowerBook is sleeping

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kerb, Aug 14, 2004.

1. kerb macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Lancashire UK
    Is there anyway to keep the PowerBook connected to the internet whilst it is sleeping?

I'd like to leave it downloading sometime and keep it shut in it's case. Is it possible to do?

I'm using a new 12" PB and a Linksys wireless router.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    I think you have the wrong idea of what sleeping is. It is when the computer shuts down completely, but saves what it was doing last. Then when you open it up, it goes back to doing what it was doing. When its sleeping, the computer does absolutely nothing. No disk reads, or writes. No internet connection, nothing. This is the same for all computers that have a sleep mode.

Now you can get a hack for the system to leave the Mac on when you close the lid, but that could possibly hurt it. Just leave the screen up, and have the screen turn off.
  3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    It's not the best idea to use the hack and have your machine running while the lid is closed.
  4. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I changed my display and screen saver settings to achieve mostly what you are talking about.

If I want to download overnight and the like - Just set it so that the screen shuts down - similar to when I'm on battery mode.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    What hack? Apple supports running it with the lid closed, though perhaps in a different situation that the one to which you refer: when using an external display.
  6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I think when he said "shut in its case" he referred to the physical appearance of the Powerbook: Shut closed.

Also, as jsw mentioned, using an external display would keep your Powerbook awake while it's closed (or shut :D)