Internet Everywhere.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kill-your-tv, Feb 7, 2007.

1. kill-your-tv macrumors member

I know there are two options for "anywhere internet" using a cell phone or using an express card. Is the express card fatser then syncing to your cell phone? Being that a Macbook has no pcmi slot would using a cell phone be the only option? I currently own a MBP C2D but feel I need something more portable. Any info/insight would be stellar. Thanks:cool:

2. volvoben macrumors 6502

I was asked this question just today by a higher up at work who's interested in switching...Unfortunately I had no answer. I know sprint, cingular/att etc. all use pcmcia cards now, but will this ever change to expresscard? I really think i had this guy convinced on a MB until i said it didn't even have a slot for his sprint card. Just to save face I did some research and showed him a VERY sexy sony vaio laptop that weighs less than 3lbs, has over 4 hours of battery life and will handle any wireless card so he can buy and sell people wherever he may be. I wish Apple had an option to compete against the ultra-portable wifi market. in europe the mobile networks already have DSL speed pretty widespread, it must suck to own a mac laptop there and have no access to this network. even a MB with mobile broadband capability would be very appealing for many people.

3. 12991 macrumors member

I actually did this a few weeks ago... I connected my macbook to my cingular blackjack... and i was using the internet across the LIE. Pretty cool stuff. In NYC I can get 3g speeds.

4. kill-your-tv thread starter macrumors member

I know, you would think there would be alot more options then there are:cool: . I can only find a few articles/posts around the net. All seem relativly complicated and there is no follow up info, speed, cost, ect ect. Thanks for your reply though.

5. kill-your-tv thread starter macrumors member

Right on. Can you explain alittle more?
    :cool:

6. NickFury macrumors member

I connect my MBP through my Sprint 6700 all the time through bluetooth.

It took all of about 1 minute to setup in OSX. I put my phone in 'discoverable mode', had OSX search for Bluetooth devices, found my phone, entered in my 'PIN', filled out my username and password, and whaala; online.

Now I just leave the phone on in my pocket, and the MBP connects no problems.

Some cell phone companys can tell when you do this though. On Sprint they call it 'tethering'. The ability for them to detect is on alot of phones now, but not on mine. Most cellular providers have different pricing for these 'phones as a modem' access plans. I mainly use mine when I'm out at Borders, since I don't feel like paying 10 bucks for internet access after I just paid 5 bucks for a latte. Otherwise if there is wireless around, I obviously do that.

On Sprint, I've done speed tests that have gone over 1.0Mbit, so its pretty fast.

But at any rate, I'm pretty sure Sprint and Verizon are going to be releasing new access cards soon since EVDO Rev A is starting to roll out. Express Card is getting popular, so chances are you will see some express card versions. Otherwise, honestly, I think the bluetooth phone is the best solution, since it saves you money w/o having to buy the card and its one less thing to worry about loosing in you're bag, not to mention is also being able to make calls through the phone from the MB.

7. grossmusic macrumors newbie

Beginner here!

Assume I know nothing but how to turn on my MacBook Pro. I want internet EVERYWHERE I GO.

How do I get that? (& what kind of cost?)

8. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

you can get a usb 3g modem with a data plan from a mobile phone provider.