Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Bloody Microsoft......... :( :rolleyes:

As well as speed I hope they sort out the stability as well...... :rolleyes: :)

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Yes, I too just hope they sort out all the bugs and such. It's very buggy, but it's a great browser. Can't wait for v6! (maybe tabbed browsing will be incorporated!)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Hmm, do you think the new Apple Ads helped MS *delay* the release? Ha. Figures. How long has 6 been available for the PC now?

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Who really cares. Even if Microsoft is "delayed" because of the recent Apple ads, it just shows how arrogant they are to think that what they do with their crappy browser has any impact on most Mac users.

Sure, I'd love to see a better IE. Its still necessary for some sites (banking, for one). But there are better alternatives, and most Mac users know it. Why doesnt M$ just get on with it already and win market share by actually having the BEST browser, rather than just by bullying people around. With Office, they can get away with it; Apple needs MS Office to attract PC users. But with browsers, sorry M$. You'll have to win that war on your merits.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
It doesn't really concern me. For all i care, they could delay it till kingdom come, and i'd still be happy. Mac OS X has some very good browsers, all of which are ever improving. We're no longer dependant on m$ for anything resembling good browsing.

Microsoft probably delayed ie6 so that they can bloat it out some more.... :rolleyes:

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
although I use Chimera for everything that doesn't need IE, I still like to be up-to-date at all times and that means having the best and latest software...so I want IE6 even if it just sits there gathering dust in my dock..

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
M$ -- I don't want new features... I want your product to work as advertised. That is, it can use a IIS Proxy on a wintel network without crashing every 100KB of data loaded...

whawho

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
Columbus, OH
IE6

If it ends up being the best browser on the Mac than I will use it. I don't really care who makes the browser as long as it's the fastest and most complete.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Eple

I could live with IE being a *bit* slower in exchange for it not crashing so much. There are a lot of good features of it, but like you guys say, it's madddddd buggy.

I'd use OW full time if I could figure out how to get pop-up windows to work-- one of the main sites I have designed has pop up windows and they don't wanna work in OW.

it Sux.

m

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, if Apple puts .html compatibility into Sherlock3, then we might not need to worry about IE. That would be very cool.

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
More choices

Originally posted by Moxiemike

I could live with IE being a *bit* slower in exchange for it not crashing so much. There are a lot of good features of it, but like you guys say, it's madddddd buggy.

I'd use OW full time if I could figure out how to get pop-up windows to work-- one of the main sites I have designed has pop up windows and they don't wanna work in OW.

it Sux.

m
Try Mozilla 1.0. On my machine (and according to most here), it is much faster and much more stable than IE. Don't start with v1.1a, as people are reporting it is buggy.

We have lots of choices, and they are improving. However (and I hate to say this), none of them is as complete as IE 6 for the PC. Hopefully that will change before the end of the year.

Chris

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
IE6

Really, I couldn't care less. M$ can take a leap for all I care.

Now, that said, IE remains familier to every PC user in the land, M$ made ***** sure of that. One of the big apple push points for converts is ease of transition. It might benifit to have the updated version, but as long a M$ doesn't just drop support, I think it will be fine.

They're are better browsers, and people who know about them will use them, others will use IE, theres just no accounting for taste.

jamesbhai

macrumors member
May 20, 2002
Boston
ho-hum

is anyone surprised? does anyone care? okay, for some sites, but otherwise, microshaft can go jump off a bridge. did we expect them to put out a timely update to a product? those who use entourage but have no syncing conduits for another month sure don't. i just wish omniweb would hurry up too. give me good microsoft alternative and i'll take it.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: More choices

Originally posted by chmorley

Try Mozilla 1.0. On my machine (and according to most here), it is much faster and much more stable than IE. Don't start with v1.1a, as people are reporting it is buggy.

We have lots of choices, and they are improving. However (and I hate to say this), none of them is as complete as IE 6 for the PC. Hopefully that will change before the end of the year.

Chris

I hear ya on IE and its "completeness." I tried a combo of Mozilla, Chimera, Netscape and OW for awhile....it seemed that each one was missing something the other had, making me have to keep all of them on my machine... that was kinda annoying-- I'm a simple man, what can I say! :)

:rolleyes: :D

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
OmniWeb popup windows

Originally posted by Moxiemike

it Sux.

m
Try opening the preferences and clicking on the Java Script button. Then select scripts are allowed to open new windows: always. This setting is supposed to disable pop up ad windows, but sometimes it gets in the way of other things. I hope this helps

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
IE 6 on the PC might be "complete" as you put it but it is nowhere near as stable as IE 5.5sp1 and sp2 was under Win2k. I hate using IE6 on Win2k or WinXP.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Wake me up when it cocoa.

Also, if delayed because of Apple, I'd think it was because Apple didn't hold the release of 10.1.5 and not really because of the ads.

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
Hmm, do you think the new Apple Ads helped MS *delay* the release? Ha. Figures. How long has 6 been available for the PC now?

You know the old saying, be careful what you wish for :)

IE6 on the PC is the worst version I've ever used.

It is unstable, locks up constantly, it's not particularly fast, and there are other internal changes that are more of a problem than an improvement.

I still use IE 5.01 on all my PC's, except the one running XP. There, I have no real choice.

TL

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy
IE 6 on the PC might be "complete" as you put it but it is nowhere near as stable as IE 5.5sp1 and sp2 was under Win2k. I hate using IE6 on Win2k or WinXP.

I hear ya!

IE 6 is TERRIBLE!

TL

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Mozilla 1.1a

A little more polished, sucks we've been waiting since that first ugly replacement after 4.7 to once again see this level of polish.

Still hate the non-Mac drawing routines they insist on using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.