Internet Explorer always unexpectedly quits

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2A Batterie, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

All of a sudden today when I try to open up IE, it gives me the "unexpectedly quits message before it opens. I have installed no new software lately, but I even tried repairing my perms and I still have the same problem. I'm thinking this may be Pro Tools related, as that was one of the last apps I was running. Any thoughts?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I had this problem twice with different programs. In both cases the problems persisted for weeks, and then one day they suddenly worked fine again.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Have you tried trashing the prefs? I find that works about 80% of the time I have a randomly crashing program.

4. wide macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine literally cannot run IE on Panther. He opens it, and right when it fully loads it unexpectedly quit. Hasn't worked since. Uninstalling IE might do the trick and then reinstalling it, or you could also switch to a different browser. good luck

5. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

try using safari allllllll the time...and bin ie
    why are you using it anyway?

6. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Have you tried logging in as a different user? If it works for the other user, then probably your IE settings file in your home dir has been corrupted. The solution would be to delete it. I don't know what the filename is, but it's probably in the Library/Application Support folder. You could also try typing "explorer" in to the finder search box.

If it crashes for all users then I suggest reinstalling it from MacOS X disks (cd2 I think).

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

And you're using IE why?

Sorry to give an unhelpful answer, but...IE...

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I've just always used IE... no rhyme or reason. I use safari too, and now I have too b/c IE won't open. But I would like to have access to IE b/c I am building a page a website and I want to make sure it works in IE. Regardless, if I have a top of the line computer I think it should be able to run IE. It just bugs me when something doesn't work

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

BTW it's IE 5 - so it won't look the same to IE 6 Windows users if you think you're getting the same functionality from it.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

A good rule of thumb is to make it look good in Safari or Firefox, which are about the most standards compliant browsers there are. If anything looks wrong in IE but looks fine in other browsers, you report it as a bug to Microsoft. Don't roll over and alter your code to be IE compliant! The only people who should be doing that are professional web designers whose customers need the site to work with IE so that they can make money. Even those people hold their noses while they do it and complain bitterly about it.