"Internet Explorer consigned to the Trash"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Bengt77, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Jun 7, 2002
    That's the headline of one of the news items over at MacUser. It says Microsoft has stopped the further devolopment of Internet Explorer for Mac. Cool, eh?! Apple won this round!

Or do you guys think differently about this?

2. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    Safari is far from perfect. I still find myself using IE quite a bit because Safari won't work with a lot of sites.

It's especially bad for corporate intranets or specialized apps.
  3. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Austin, TX
    While I think this is great news for Safari, there are a lot of sites out there that still won't accept it over Internet Explorer. Apple will need to make Safari at least be able to emulate IE and get Safari to work better with WMP (some sites insist on using it). Hopefully IE 5 will work with future versions of OS X to ensure any compatibility problems.
  4. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Apple shouldn't need to rely on Microsoft for browser support, Safari may be far from perfect but it's still in beta form and IE crashes a lot more than Safari in it's early state.
  5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Well, with MS announcing no more stand-alone versions of IE, their browser development is going to stagnate compared to that of Safari, Mozilla, Opera, etc.

I think MS is putting themselves out of the browser market. Whether that's intentional or not remains to be seen.
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I can imagine the headlines of the future:

Apple adds all features desired by all users to Safari

Apple adds hooks in Mac OS X to better integrate Safari with the Finder

Authors and fans of other browsers complain that Safari's integration gives it an unfair advantage

Apple claims that Safari cannot be separated from Mac OS X

MacRumors members demonstrate how easy it is to disable Safari in Mac OS X

Safari market share for Macs reaches 95%

Microsoft buys the rights to port Safari to Windows

Microsoft announces Safari for Windows

Safari market share for Windows reaches 51%

Microsoft ceases development of Internet Explorer

Steve Jobs appears in court to explain away damaging internal e-mail that clearly shows his goal was to put Internet Explorer out of business; Jury unexplainedly believes everything he says

Doctor Q indicted for headline tampering
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
  8. deadpoet macrumors member

May 29, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    That's hardly Safari's fault. Safari is far more standards compliant than IE is. Your problems stem from incompetent webdesigners who only design for IE, not for standards. I know because I'm a webdesigner myself.

IE5/Mac was on the right track, I'm sure the next major revision would've improved it a lot. But at the same time I'm not too disappointed since Safari has come along and is now clearly the superior browser on Mac OS X.