internet explorer for mac discontinued?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steveski, Jan 31, 2007.

1. steveski macrumors newbie

There are a few things that Safari just can't do like playing flash games etc is there a way to install internet explorer on my new iMac, I read somewhere its been discontinued, or is there some other way to upgrade Safari to do everything there is to do on the net?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

IE has been discontinued for Mac for quite some time.

If you're looking for another web browser, I recommend Firefox.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It was discontinued about a year ago. I'm sure if you use google, you'll be able to find it though. I'm not sure how legal this is so I'll leave the direct link out of this post, but I suggest searching for evolt.

About your Flash problem, have you updated your Flash player? I've never had a real problem with safari.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just because its been discontinued doesn't mean you can't download an older version and use it. It just wont get anymore upgrades from Microsoft.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think you can get it from MS though. I'm pretty sure they removed it from their download section.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You could, but why would anyone want a browser that hasn't received a single update in over a year? IE for Mac is dead, and there are much better options available.

It's gone. Link

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They took it off about a year ago, it has been discontinued for longer. To the OP The mac version of internet explorer is not as good as safari, I think that Crossover Mac may be able to run the windows version of internet explorer on your iMac as long as it is intel.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

They have removed IE from their download section, but there are others who still host/publish/share the software around these fair tubes (legally, as far as I know?). That said, even if you were to find IE, it's likely to run much more awkwardly than Safari.

EricNau gives good advice by suggesting Firefox -- why not also give Camino a whirl?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, the final update to the OS X version (5.2.3) was in June 2003.

OP: As long as your Flash player is up-to-date you really should be able to do everything in Safari.

10. steveski thread starter macrumors newbie

At the site where I play those games it still says I need to either:
    *get internet explorer
    *update my flash player
    *have windows 2000 or later

This is the site if you want to know: http://zone.msn.com/en/root/default.htm

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

None of this, of course, matters anyway. IE Mac is not like IE Windows. It is extremely out of date, and you'll find it is much less compatible with stuff than any browser currently in development.

It also isn't Intel native. So, in conclusion, forget about it.

It was pulled from the download site about a year ago. It was as good as discontinued way before that.

Well, of course a Microsoft web site wants you to use IE. Perhaps consider alternatives, like Yahoo! Games or Shockwave, both of which work fine on Macs.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might be able to fool the site into working but it's definitely looking for Windows machines, not Mac OS X.

You're better off with Candystand or even the half-working Yahoo! games site.

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Funny, I don't get any errors saying I need Windows. The site appears to actually not work correctly in Safari or Firefox though, even if I tell Safari to appear as MSIE6.0.

14. bmb012 macrumors 6502

So, eh, go to shockwave.com or something, Safari plays Flash games just as terribly as Internet Explorer does.