Internet Explorer--headed for extinction? - Wouldn't it be nice

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dross, Sep 30, 2004.

1. dross macrumors regular

dross

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Its a nice thought but the reality is as long as imploder is bundled with the OS and as long as OEM's don't ship with FireFox installed by default, MS will have a built in advantage over everyone else. I'll be happy if FireFox nabs 30% of the market.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

that's true, but as IE becomes more of a liability in the corporate environment, it would not surprise me to see more and more users become familiar with alternative browsers, and, liking what they see, start to use them at home. So what if I have a copy of IE on my computer--I rarely use it, and complain to sites when I have to. And I don't go to msnbc any more.

4. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Good riddance. Maybe someday more sites will work properly on quality browsers. IE is pretty much the standard when it comes to browsers. Unfortunately, that "standard" is a steaming pile of crap, and everyone who doesn't use IE is forced to deal with it at some point.

5. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Just wishful thinking :rolleyes:.

There are so many better options out there, I don't know why anyone would use it unless they needed to access IE only websites. I use Firefox on my PC and Safari on my Mac :).

JOD8FY

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Me too :)

I've tried other browsers too, like Shiira and OmniWeb (for the Mac) - I didn't like them as much as I do Safari, though. In fact, I am so paranoid about Windows security that I do all my web surfing on my Mac, then transfer any Windows-only stuff I downloaded.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

No kidding.

I can't imagine how anyone could stand to use IE in 2 years when it still hasn't been updated, and still has HORRIBLE CSS support.

Please do web designers around the worlda favor and support Moz.org (support following web standards).

Spread the word:

Firefox
    Mozilla
    Opera
    Netscape
    or anything else!

scem0