internet explorer keeps quiting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shanner, Aug 31, 2004.

1. shanner macrumors member

does anyone have any idea why this might be?

a message comes up saying "internet explorer has unexpectedly quit due to a type 2 error. you should save your...blah blah blah".

Thank you!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I would just get rid of IExplorer

To start, I would suggest using a different browser. IExplorer on the Mac was never the greatest thing, and its unsupported now. So if there is a hole in security or bugs, it will never get fixed. Use Safari, Foxfire, or Camino if possible.

http://www.mozilla.org/

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I boycott IE

I don't even touch it anymore, especially with this last system and java update, safari works perfect with every site I go to.

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Is there some reason in particular you're using IE? I had to use it occasionally until I found Firefox -- Firefox seems to handle all the sites that IE could do but Safari couldn't.

A nice bonus of Firefox: it loads pages really fast for me. I mean, in 1/3 the time that Safari would. I just wish it had the brushed steel look of Safari. :p

5. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

Well, for starters, IE is old and disgusting. But some things I would suggest, if you're completely stuck on using its slowness again, are...

1. Delete the Preferences (search for files with .plist and delete everything with explorer in it)
    2. Throw out IE and reinstall it using another browser listed in the posts above

But really, I don't even use IE on my PC, you should switch to Mozilla Firefox.

Oh, and by the way, dotnina, I don't remember if Firefox is a carbon app or not, but if it is, Metallifizer might be able to grant your wish.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't know what the rest of these folks are talking about. This sounds to me link you're using IE in OS9/Classic. Are you running OS X or OS 9? Error Type 2 usually refers to a lack of memory. What are the specs on your Mac? Does this happen after a while of browsing, or does this happen immediately upon opening IE?

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

That's exactly what I was thinking.

8. shanner thread starter macrumors member

It generally happens after a while of browsing.

Yes I am using OS 9. I hope not to be for long, but for now am i stuck with IE?

Thanks for all your help.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Then this is "normal", but annoying. IE is a massive memory hog. Eventually it hits a page that requires a lot of memory, can't get it, and goes berzerk, crashing.

(I'm going by memory on all this, I've not used OS9 in 3-4 years).

If your Mac has enough physical memory (don't use Virtual Memory, it sucks), you can increase the amount of RAM that IE requires. Quit IE. Click on the IE icon once to highlight it. Do Cmd-I to Get Info. Change the select bar to Memory. Double the suggested size in the Preferred field. This should prolong the time between browsing and crashing.

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Wow, what a cool feature. You might not know it yet but this maybe the best thing to ever happen to you in browser terms. :)

I like Firefox and Safari best, Firfox seems to have the edge over Safari of late, but I expect that will change sooner or later.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Except there's no Firefox or Safari for Mac OS 9.. which the OP is running.

12. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

OS 9

That's not an unusual occurrence. I would try disabling Java in the preferences of Explorer. Java that is, not javascript.

I would find your shortest route to running OS X and follow it. Browsers are much more standards compliant and regularly updated, not that that has anything to do with why your browser is crashing.

:confused:

13. shanner thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot!

I downloaded Mozilla and so far am happy with that.
    I certainly will start using OS X as soon as possible.... it all has to do with this internet connection I signed up for when I recently moved country, which for some reason only works with OS 9, or more advanced versions of OS X then I have.
    I'll sort it out soon, but till then, thanks again for the advice.