Internet explorer only????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patriot, Jul 3, 2006.

1. patriot macrumors newbie

I have just upgraded one of my employees to a macbook, and one of the real estate websites she needs to use says it only works with Internet explorer. WHat can I use to get around this?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

Try Firefox or Camino.

Or Internet Explorer.

3. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

There are a few solutions:
    *Try setting Camino (using CamiTools) or Safari to make it look like you're using Internet Explorer. If the site still won't work, then you will need to use IE.
    *You can use Parallels or Boot Camp to run Windows XP and use IE from there. Parallels costs $50, but also requires a windows license.
    *Ask Codeweavers if you can get a Beta of Crossover office. If you email them and say you're willing to beta test the software and report bugs, they will probably give you a download link. From here install the Crossover software, and then install Internet Explorer 6.0 from Configure>Install Software.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I heard that the current alpha of CrossOver can't yet run IE. The best solution would be to use Safari's Debug menu ("defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" in Terminal) to spoof IE. If that works, contact the site and ask why they're artificially limiting browser support.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Based on what I've heard about the majority of real estate websites, spoofing IE won't work either. If that's the case with this one, your best bet right now is probably Parallels Desktop.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Ask the company that made the websites to use actual Website standards, and if they don't want to have them pay for Parallels and a Copy of Windows so you can use their website

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i second this, and tell us how it goes.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's the sort of thing where I'd wanna sue em for .. for I dunno what!

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I heard you can do this with Safari but I can't remember how? Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain how? I searched the forums but can't find a thread about it.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll need to enable the Safari debug tools to change the user agent.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I went to the link and cut and paste it in and this is what terminal window said:

Last login: Mon Jul 10 22:47:28 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    princpals-ibook-g4:~ Principal$ % defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
    -bash: fg: %: no such job

did I do something wrong? I quite Safari, opened up Terminal, cut and paste that string in (% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1) and it came back with the -bash line...what gives?

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

yeah, leave off the '%'...

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I put the '%' on the first time and got that error. I just had a feeling removing it would work. :rolleyes:

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Nothing makes me more annoyed than a website which doesnt use web standards:mad:

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I find ones that will ultimately work, but won't let you access them without spoofing far more annoying than just blatantly ignoring standards. Like the one reported by Skeeball236. Sheer laziness.

Parallels (or Boot Camp) seems to be the best solution to the original problem...

B

16. andrewheard macrumors regular

I find that when I make webpages, I have more trouble making IE display it how I want it than with any other browser. I guess its because I'm one of those people who just has to have it say "Valid XHTML".

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

You know, using the actual web standards might render the site un-usable in IE... :D

18. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

19. Squareball macrumors regular

Not really a big deal... IE for Windows is completely different than IE for the Mac was. IE:Mac was a complete re-write with a whole other rendering engine and box model. It was actually a decent browser for its time (heck it even had transparent png support! IE6 can't even do that right)

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's still a decent browser! I mean, sure it could use some updating, but I'm surprised at how well it renders my sites. Heck, most of the time, no- all of the time- it's way better than ie 6.

21. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I can send you a zip file of internet explorer for Mac.app if you want. It's 5.9 MB.

Not sure if it will work with Rosetta though?

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Your site doesn't specify a doctype, which would make it invalid and not supporting standards :p

(Just teasing)