Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patriot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
I have just upgraded one of my employees to a macbook, and one of the real estate websites she needs to use says it only works with Internet explorer. WHat can I use to get around this?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
There are a few solutions:
*Try setting Camino (using CamiTools) or Safari to make it look like you're using Internet Explorer. If the site still won't work, then you will need to use IE.
*You can use Parallels or Boot Camp to run Windows XP and use IE from there. Parallels costs $50, but also requires a windows license.
*Ask Codeweavers if you can get a Beta of Crossover office. If you email them and say you're willing to beta test the software and report bugs, they will probably give you a download link. From here install the Crossover software, and then install Internet Explorer 6.0 from Configure>Install Software.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I heard that the current alpha of CrossOver can't yet run IE. The best solution would be to use Safari's Debug menu ("defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" in Terminal) to spoof IE. If that works, contact the site and ask why they're artificially limiting browser support.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Based on what I've heard about the majority of real estate websites, spoofing IE won't work either. If that's the case with this one, your best bet right now is probably Parallels Desktop.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Ask the company that made the websites to use actual Website standards, and if they don't want to have them pay for Parallels and a Copy of Windows so you can use their website

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
eva01 said:
Ask the company that made the websites to use actual Website standards, and if they don't want to have them pay for Parallels and a Copy of Windows so you can use their website

i second this, and tell us how it goes.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Steve1496 said:
There are a few solutions:
*Try setting Camino (using CamiTools) or Safari to make it look like you're using Internet Explorer. If the site still won't work, then you will need to use IE.

So I heard you can do this with Safari but I can't remember how? Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain how? I searched the forums but can't find a thread about it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
flyfish29 said:
So I heard you can do this with Safari but I can't remember how? Can anyone point me in the right direction or explain how? I searched the forums but can't find a thread about it.
You'll need to enable the Safari debug tools to change the user agent.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Eidorian said:
You'll need to enable the Safari debug tools to change the user agent.

So I went to the link and cut and paste it in and this is what terminal window said:

Last login: Mon Jul 10 22:47:28 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
princpals-ibook-g4:~ Principal$ % defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
-bash: fg: %: no such job

did I do something wrong? I quite Safari, opened up Terminal, cut and paste that string in (% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1) and it came back with the -bash line...what gives?

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Nothing makes me more annoyed than a website which doesnt use web standards:mad:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ChrisG said:
Nothing makes me more annoyed than a website which doesnt use web standards:mad:
I find ones that will ultimately work, but won't let you access them without spoofing far more annoying than just blatantly ignoring standards. Like the one reported by Skeeball236. Sheer laziness.

Parallels (or Boot Camp) seems to be the best solution to the original problem...

B

andrewheard

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I find that when I make webpages, I have more trouble making IE display it how I want it than with any other browser. I guess its because I'm one of those people who just has to have it say "Valid XHTML".

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
eva01 said:
You know, using the actual web standards might render the site un-usable in IE... :D

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
michaelrjohnson said:
If you come across a site that *requires* IE (not just a browser other than Safari), you'll have to head on over to your friendly PC.

Microsoft discontinued distribution of IE for the Mac on January 31, 2006.

Not really a big deal... IE for Windows is completely different than IE for the Mac was. IE:Mac was a complete re-write with a whole other rendering engine and box model. It was actually a decent browser for its time (heck it even had transparent png support! IE6 can't even do that right)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Squareball said:
Not really a big deal... IE for Windows is completely different than IE for the Mac was. IE:Mac was a complete re-write with a whole other rendering engine and box model. It was actually a decent browser for its time (heck it even had transparent png support! IE6 can't even do that right)
It's still a decent browser! I mean, sure it could use some updating, but I'm surprised at how well it renders my sites. Heck, most of the time, no- all of the time- it's way better than ie 6.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I can send you a zip file of internet explorer for Mac.app if you want. It's 5.9 MB.

Not sure if it will work with Rosetta though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.