Internet Explorer Sites only and Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arkmannj, Sep 10, 2005.

1. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

I shutter asking this since I don't like IE anymore than I like a backed up sewer. But that aside I need to ask:

My mom has a iBook G4 1.33GHZ 256MB, and started working for an airline
    (Skywest) however skywest provide paycheck stubs, your flight plans etc. only through their website (no hard copy, no other access). this site is Internet Explorer 5+ only and you have to "allow" pop-up.

* I have tried Using Safari's debug>>User Agent>>Windows IE6
    * Using Opera's Internet Explorer spoofing.
    * Internet Explorer 5.x Mac Edition

The above trials will allow me/her to get past the error message that says the site only works with internet explorer. However, the site will not load (just blank).

does anyone have any suggestions ? I really would like to find a solution outside of VPC if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Josh2022 macrumors member

have you tried to clear all your cookies, then do the spoofing, maybe they put a cooking into your browser to stop you from doing that? KJust a thought

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Hitting the Source

Well, I don't have an immediate solution for you, but I'd definitely say that a letter should be sent to the company regarding their use of proprietary code. Just don't say "I'm on a Mac", or they'll throw you in the fanatic pile. Say that you have removed IE from your system due to concerns with the security problems it poses and use browsers that follow industry-standard code such as Netscape and FireFox. And that "in this day of increasing risks of viruses and identity theft [they] should be more sensitive to the needs of their employees to access the information in an industry-standard format."

Again, it doesn't solve your immediate problem, but it will make you feel more like a part of the solution. :)

5. arkmannj thread starter macrumors 65816

arkmannj

unfortunately no, it just stops at a page saying "This site requires internet Explorer 5 or higher click here to download internet explorer"
    the link goes to microsoft.com

the sad thing is that they stole Apples wait graphic, and it plays while you see the message (the spinney thing during boot up and shutdown etc...)

hmm Just tried... no dice... but thanks for the idea, I do appreciate it.

in browsing the site it seems they use some form of vbscript or something..

Attached Files: