Internet Explorer Usage Slips Below 90 Percent

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 14, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

its always nice to read about how the mighty being to slip and fall... :)

3. macrumors 603

solvs

Ha!

Maybe soon a few more sites will stop with the IE-only garbage.

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As much as I want it to suffer, may ActiveX die a quick and painless death, to make way for standards based browsing! :D

5. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

PC World never mentioned any Safari traffic they got...

IE still dominates, just not by quite as much as before. I am not pleased when I find out that a web site I wanted to visit only allows IE/Win users. I want this behavior to stop because it's detrimental to everybody.

6. macrumors 6502a

macridah

I also hate when a website says "this site has been optimized on IE 6 ... some features may not work with other browsers"

That is BS. Hope webmasters start designing websites the right way.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They did say it was <3%, but it was weird that when they mentioned non-obvious browsers, they mentioned WebTV and not Safari! :eek: Well, how many PC users know what Safari even is! :p "DUDE, I H8 MACS! THEY J@KK3D THA IE ICON N REPLACED IT WITH A COMPASS!!!!!1111" :D

8. macrumors 6502a

IE is the most pain-in-the-arse browser to deal with when developing websites because it's conformity to HTML and other standards is so bad. I wish it would go away completely.

9. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

:D

But seriously, any decline in IEs market share is a good one. A nice diversified web browser market where no browsers has more than 50% (or even 30%) share and all follows the standards as well as they can, could be essential for further developing the web and an advantage for computer users everywhere.

10. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Well yeah, but it is PC World. Any of these user agent breakdowns that looks at only one site is going to provide a distorted view.

11. macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

"By the way, I never heard of Oprah browser before. Do you receive a free web browser if you subscribe to the magazine?"
    That's a classic - even if in jest :p

12. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

ROFL, and if you're really lucky, it'll give you a pair of free Ugg boots and a Pontiac G6 too! :D

13. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I use FireFox at work. I can't go back to a non-tabbed browser.

14. macrumors 65816

narco

Isn't "optimized on IE 6" an oxymoron?

Fishes,
    narco.

15. macrumors 68020

ham_man

Here here!!!

I have been telling everyone in my family to start using Firefox but they always give me crap about IE being inegrated, it being *sic* secure, tab browsing being overrated, and all other stuff. Frankly, the security issues and tabbed browsing will never, ever, allow IE to be satisfactory...

16. macrumors G5

nagromme

Last time I saw stats, IE was the most-used, Firefox was #2, and Safari, despite its small %, was at #3.

Safari's not #3 at PC World, but I wonder if it still is overall?

17. macrumors 68040

plinden

Everyone with Safari should go over to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp and bump up the stats there.

It shows Mozilla-based browsers (Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape) at 28.3% and IE (5 and 6) at 65% This figure for Mozilla is too high for general internet usage in my opinion, since w3c shools is likely to be visited by more tech savvy users, but it shows a large decline from 85% for IE from its high point in March 2003 (when it would have really had > 90% of the total browser usage.)

The stats add up to just over 95% for May 2005, so unless there are a large number of other browsers with < 0.2% of the market, they are leaving out Safari for some reason.