Internet Explorer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaRaGoNViCtiM, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I was wondering how I go about using Internet Explorer? Can someone tell me the steps to take to start using Internet Explorer to web browse?
    Thanks guys!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Your kidding, right?

Download it. Open it. Type in the address you want to go to.
    Am I forgetting anything?

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It is not advisable to start using IE on the Mac. IE is totally depricated in OS X. It's not been updated in over 2 years. What is prompting you to try and start using IE on the Mac?

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I would recommend not using it. It is a horrible browser that renders fine code not so fine. I recommend firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) - it is free, it is fast, and it renders things correctly!

scem0

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

In other words, OSX totally defecated on IE. It's nice to go down memory lane now and then.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I have actually run into maybe one or two extrordinarily badly designed sites that Safari and Gecko-based browsers couldn't handle that managed to function to some degree in IE5 on the Mac, so it's not 100% useless.

That said, if you're actually thinking about using IE5 for everyday browsing, PaRaGoNViCtiM, give yourself a firm smack across the face and forget you ever had that idea. It was a really impressive browser--arguably the best on any platform--in 2000, but it hasn't changed appreciably since then and is now a slow and inneffective reminder of what things used to be like.

Frankly, unless you're a web designer and want to make sure your site isn't a total disaster in it for the handful of users left, there's no reason to bother.

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Now tell us how you wonder about using Windows Media Player...

First step: Go to your applications folder, click on Internet explorer, drag and drop to the trash.

2nd: Shift + Command + backspace

It feels fine when you can be helpful. You're welcome!

:)

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

grapes911 gave you the correct information. One might expect your question from a newbie. You are not a newbie. You know how to install applications on the Mac. You know how to use a web browser. You have been on this forum long enough to know what to expect when you ask a stupid question. The people here being a$$holes notwithstanding, you know what to do. Do it.

9. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

awesome.. i thought it wasnt available anymore. This'll help with my web design (testing a range of browsers, including silly ones like IE!)

10. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Sadly, I've ran into many long-time Mac users who use Explorer.

Awhile back, I ran into a graphic designer whose website I would construct for her. When browsing the web on her G4 iMac, she instantly pulled up Explorer and then asked why certain sites were doing funny things. I pointed her to Safari and she said she never even used that (but does now). She's been a designer since at least the 80's.

Some professors at school are also still using Explorer.

????

I dunno.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

When I used to sell Macs and Mac Software, I'd have way too many people come in and complain that we didn't have any software for OS 9. I tried hard not to give them a funny look...

I can't stand IE because of the hideous interface (among other things). If I wanted my computer screen to look like crap, I'd use windows.

12. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

My college for the most part uses PC's and they supply all their students with laptops (they include it in your tution). Everyone gets Windows, except graphic design students who get iBooks. My professor recently told me "that I should not be using a Mac in a Criminal Justice major." He told me the only way they will continually let me use it, is if I used IE while at school. There was no need for the attitude.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. There is no reason to use IE (assuming your school is not made of morons who only code webpages to work for IE). What school do you go to?

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

Those of us who've had to deal with IE's severe rendering issues have grown to hate it with a passion--particularly those of us who design web pages.

It pains me, and others like me, to see folks using a proveably inferior browser when there are better and equally free alternatives available, hence the vitrol.

Ok, that's a "legitimate" reason, and it's certainly not your fault if your professor is confused. It is somewhat ironic to be actively discouraging what is currently a more secure OS in Criminal Justice, but that's beside the point.

You should probably install IE just to make your professor feel good inside, but unless there's some very specific school-related website that renders properly in IE on the Mac and not in Safari, Camino, or Firefox, then I really would stay away from it--the cases where it is a help rather than a major hinderance are now almost unheard of.

I, for example, used to keep it around for those occasional sites, but I haven't even launched it in over a year except for compatibility testing on my own designs.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

he may think you need it to be able to put in proxy information, which in mac os x you do in system preferences in the network pane, even if you used a PC useing IE is not at all advisable, firefox is far more secure and a far better browser. just stick with safari.

16. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why should your professor give a **** what you use? As long as you do your work and attend class and get good grades, it shouldn't matter what computer you use. All of my professors during all of my three years in school has absolutely no idea what computer I'm using, nor care.

17. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Strange Prof

I also can't imagine a professor sticking his nose in what computer you use. Even if you're using it to take notes in class. The web is the web, and a current browser is a current browser.

Of course, there are some really sheltered Windows users out there. I had to help a few windows-only presenters prepare to do a presentation in a Mac lab today (training on the use of a web site). They were utterly floored, baffled, and otherwise confuzzled that there were other browsers (what's a browser?) besides IE.

What's a browser? I thought Interned Explorer was the web. :rolleyes:

:)

18. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

19. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Just so we're clear...

because you're obviously feeling hurt right now - I was poking fun at your professor and other windows-only folks (including the co-workers I mentioned, who I love, btw, despite their cursed Windows ways.) :)

And I think that's where most of us are at, because we've all suffered similar misconceptions about Macs. My place still won't get me one "because they don't want to invest in proprietary stuff" (uh, and what is Windows?). Had to get my own so I could get some real work done. ;)

20. ThRiLLeR13 macrumors newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.