Internet gaming woes ...bad ping!

Discussion in 'Games' started by dogus1, Sep 4, 2004.

1. dogus1 macrumors newbie

I just recently blessed myself by getting a 3mb DSL connection from SBC. This connection is shared between four computers using an XteraSys router -- my computer is connected through CAT-5, whereas the other computers are using wireless "B." Obviously, were all these computer to be gaming or downloading at the same time, this connection could not handle it -- BUT, I'm having problems with Internet gaming even when my computer is the only one on!

I get satisfactory download speeds, usually between 200 and 300K from your average website. Thus, I would expect satisfactory pings from game servers -- I usued to have 1.5mb DSL and servers would ping in abundance less than 100, and my pings in games were usually around 40.

However, now, when I ping the game serves from games like Battlefield 1942 or Unreal Tournament 2004, there are no pings below 300, and most range between 500 and 800! When I actually go into these servers, my ping isn't so bad -- its usually around 130, sometimes as high as 200! Unacceptable for my connection, eh? Sometimes though, even despite what the server pings at the game menu, my in-game ping will be as low as 20?! BUT, since all the servers ping bad, it's hard to tell which servers will work well for me and which wont! A big hassle.

I'm experienceing this problem both on a PC using Windows XP and a PowerBook using OS X 10.3.5 via Airport Extreme wireless. Both are using the most recent updates and have their in-OS firewalls on. I have tried turning the firewalls off and closing all background programs in Windows, but to no avail. The odd thing is, I remember when I first got the DSL I tested a game -- I can't remember which, and all the servers tested good ...I have no idea what has changed since then.

Is there a list of port opening procedures that I am unaware of? It's not just one game, either.

I have a 15'' AL PowerBook 1.25Ghz. I have not yet tried any Mac games using my LAN port instead of Airport, but I don't see how this would affect the server ping...

And, in case you are interested, My PC's hardware is:
    Athlon XP 2700+
    512 MB DDR 3200
    GeForce 4200 128 MB DDR
    ASUS Deluxe mobo w/ 3COM gigabit LAN adapter

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

There is nothing you can do really, its not your fault. Latency and Bandwidth are VERY different things, my suggestion is to find a nice server that is close to your area so the packets can get there quicker for a better ping.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you have a router, you NEED to open the ports for all of these games. Having unopened ports very much so affects how they ping. Check each game for the ports it uses. Games based on Quake3 use ports 27960-27999 usually.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Check the ports...

First find all of the port of the game you are using and open them.

Second is find a server located nearby, if not in your closest city, but nearby it.

Closer the server, the lower the ping/lag.

5. dogus1 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I tell which ports the game uses?

How do I tell which ports the game uses, so that I can open them?