Internet, mail and Quark all failed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AlBDamned, Apr 26, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi All,

Would anyone have any idea why my internet, mail and Quark, all on a DP G5 would all stop working overnight?!

I've been experiencing less than smooth operation since updating to 10.3.9 and now this lot has effectively popped its clogs. Have re-installed quark and that now opens fine (except I can't get online to activate it again properly).

However, both internet (Safari and Mozilla tried) and Mail, refuse to hit the LAN and go through to their servers, despite checking and double checking the addresses. it's driving both me nuts and the It department is at a loss as well.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Al (the cursed!!).

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not to be over-simplified, but have you confirmed that your internet access is working correctly (i.e., you have a valid IP address)? Both Safari and Mail crapping out sounds like a potential internet problem, although there have been some reports on issues with 10.3.9 (I've had no problems on either of my systems).

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah we've checked and double checked the addresses but you're right, it does seem come across in one way like an internet problem. However, all the other comps in the building are fine. it was literally just my machine that bugged out overnight (computer is shut down every evening). The in-built ethernet is working , done a hardware test to double check everything there, can get onto the LAN but can no longer see some machines that I could see before, howver, I can see my local machines (in my office). The two other macs are receiving and connecting fine, I've transferred files over from both even with this problem. it just refuses to connect any further than the two local macs.

It's a mystery that has lost me a whole day at work!!

quality avatar Btw.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Have you tried connecting to external sites via IP address vs. name? That is, go to http://17.112.152.32 for Apple. If that works, there could be some sort of DNS issue.

Also, try creating a new user on your Mac and see if you have the same problem logging in there (may be some strange preferences problem).

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

No joy with the above but thanks. Will not connect to an IP address or name. Also created a new account but it hit a wall there too.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced it's something small somewhere - like a difference between an fno ethernet and eno or something that small (saw that in network utility but it's a little beyond my knowledge). I cannot find anything else in the network preferences or Mail or Safari preferences that will change it.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Okay, please let me know about these things so I can help:

-Have checked/swapped ethernet cables
    -Have checked that the Internet is active
    -HAve checked that the ethrnet address is en0 and not fn0
    -Do not have SAFT installed for Safari
    -Do not have PGP installed on mail.
    -Do not have iGetter installed.
    -Have deleted .plists for both Safari and mail under User/Library/Preferences
    -Made sure that Network is set to Automatic, DHCP
    -Have changed the Network Preference, Applied, then changed back to Automatic, Applied.
    -Have Renewed DHCP lease

What kind of router do you have?
    What kind of modem do you have?

Do these applications crash/hang or not even open?

Do you love breakfast burritos?

7. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

-Have checked/swapped ethernet cables -- YES
    -Have checked that the Internet is active -- YES
    -HAve checked that the ethrnet address is en0 and not fn0 -- WHERE CAN I CHECK THIS? ON NETWORK UTILITY ONE IS LIVE, ONE IS NOT.
    -Do not have SAFT installed for Safari - DON'T THINK SO
    -Do not have PGP installed on mail. DON'T THINK SO
    -Do not have iGetter installed. NO
    -Have deleted .plists for both Safari and mail under User/Library/Preferences WIL TRY THIS
    -Made sure that Network is set to Automatic, DHCP - NOPE IT'S NOT
    -Have changed the Network Preference, Applied, then changed back to Automatic, Applied. TRIED THAT - WILL TRY AGAIN!!
    -Have Renewed DHCP lease DON'T KNOW!!!

What kind of router do you have? FARRALON STREAMLINE STARLIGHT L/8
    What kind of modem do you have? WILL FIND OUT FROM IT GUY

And I prefer fajitas!!

Cheers

Will get back once I've been through this...!!!

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Oh - and the applications open (quark didn't but have re-installed it). But nothing happens on the internet (obviously).

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

If you are experiencing problems with 10.3.9 try to install 10.3.9 from the combo update. That may fix your problem.

10. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned