"Internet/MEdia Net: Sent" Every Day around 2:23AM...(re ATT)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellodon, Dec 12, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    Anyone know what this is?

I notice data is sent every night from our iPhones (we have 2 on our ATT plan)

If I look at the "Manage/Usage/Data Used" section within my ATT Online Account

It says "DATE 02:23 AM phone Internet/MEdia Net Sent 3957KB"

It's not always 3957KB, it varies every day...but every day usually around 2:23AM (or sometime between then and 3:00AM) it shows this being sent. Where it says "phone", there is usually the phone number of the phone you are sending to or receiving a text but for this, it just says "phone".

What is this? Is ATT sending themselves some sort of data report from our phones? Are you guys also seeing this on your account? I asked a friend of mine and he has it too so it's gotta be an iPhone thing...but what is it? Sometimes I'm sleeping during that time, so it can't be anything I'm doing.
  2. macrumors P6

Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
  3. macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't think those timestamps correspond to the time when you actually used data, I believe it's just the time when it's reported to the billing system and posted to your account.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    Hmmm...I dunno...my texts show up all day long in the report with details. That one just seems to go wherever outbound...seems sketchy. I wonder if this is ATT reporting to themselves how much data is used by each user...possibly planning for this "data hoarders" charge they may pull out next year.

I asked a few other iPhone users I know to check it out and they all have it, you sure you don't aggie?
  5. macrumors 68040

Nov 20, 2008
    My sister and I have it every day somewhere between 1:45-2:04AM. Interesting, never noticed or thought to even look.
  6. macrumors P6

Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.

Nope, I don't have it. However, I don't text much, so maybe it has something to do with texts.
  7. macrumors newbie

Apr 30, 2010
    Did you ever find the source/cause of this? I recently noticed the same thing occuring over the past month. I've contacted both ATT and Appple and both deny any and all knowledge about it other than it is occuring. Very strange!
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2010
    Mohawk Valley
    what are you and this friend doing up at such an ungodly hour as 2:23 AM in the first place? Why aren't you getting some sleep like the rest of the civilized world? [/end sarcasm] ;)
  9. macrumors newbie

May 5, 2010
    I also discovered this problem on my iPhone with messages sent around 2:10am. Anyone know anything?
  10. macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2009
    Dana Point, CA
    I am also now seeing this activity in my account.

It started on May 7. At the rate it is going, it is going to cause me to go over my 200 Text Message allocation. I'm getting 2 or 3 of them per day.

Someone on another Forum said he called Apple and that Apple said it was an App that he has installed but that they couldn't tell him which App.

I would like to know why these data packets are being counted as Text Messages.

11. macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2010
    Our Iphone plan

Our Iphones have limits to x amount of MB daily. Since I treat my Iphone 4 like a "palm pc", I expect it to upload the KB usage in order for our provider to keep track. Our uploads are between midnight and 3am consistently.
  12. macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    wasn't there a story recently about nightly updates to apple for add purposes?