Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
I need some help on this one. I have a problem that the internet on my G5 and on my iMac have stoped working mostly. Actully I can get to google.com just fine, but if I try any other site I get a little bit of the blue hilighting and then nothing.

Email from RoadRunner seems to be just fine, but email from .Mac is verrrrry slow. I have RoadRunner and they were out today and could not find any problems. Which I can understand since I am posting this from my PC which is working 100%.

I have also found that I can update my virus software, but I cannot get to the the Apple update site (from the Apple icon at the top of the screen). I also cannot connect to my iDisk.

I have tried to "reset" Safari, but that didn't do any good. I have also opened a terminal window and pinged several sites successfully, but even if I can ping the site I cannot get to it in Safari.

Any help is appricated.

Thanks,
Doug

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
DougJrS said:
I need some help on this one. I have a problem that the internet on my G5 and on my iMac have stoped working mostly. Actully I can get to google.com just fine, but if I try any other site I get a little bit of the blue hilighting and then nothing.

Email from RoadRunner seems to be just fine, but email from .Mac is verrrrry slow. I have RoadRunner and they were out today and could not find any problems. Which I can understand since I am posting this from my PC which is working 100%.

I have also found that I can update my virus software, but I cannot get to the the Apple update site (from the Apple icon at the top of the screen). I also cannot connect to my iDisk.

I have tried to "reset" Safari, but that didn't do any good. I have also opened a terminal window and pinged several sites successfully, but even if I can ping the site I cannot get to it in Safari.

Any help is appricated.

Thanks,
Doug
Since you said absolutely nothing about your network, I can only guess about the cause of your problem. I advise you to get a router. Connect your cable modem to the WAN port of a router. Connect each of your computers to a LAN port on the router. Use DHCP to configure IPv4.

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
If you still have the problem, please give us something more to work with - how is your network setup ?

Are both PC's and Macs on the same network ?
Do you use DHCP or fixed IP addresses ?
Are you behind a router or firewall ?
Some wireless, some wired connections ?

Let us know ! :p

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
Network Setup

Sorry - I guess that would be helpful. I have four computers connected to a hub that is then connected to a Linksys router, firewall, DHCP server. All the IP addresses are configured by DHCP. The four comuters are my G5, iMac, XP and 2000 system. I also have a wireless network with a Tivo and a 98 laptop and a 2000 laptop connected.

I have seen that I have some packet loss between by network and the internet. RoadRunner is going to come look at that tommrow. Are Macs more sensitive to packet loss then PC?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
DougJrS said:
Are Macs more sensitive to packet loss then PC?

Packet loss is generally problematic for any computer, regardless of OS.

Is the "hub" you describe really a hub, as opposed to a switch/router? If so, I would hazard a guess that the problem lies there. Hubs throw packets everywhere and leave it up to the machines to sort out which ones apply to them. If the hub is connected to your upstream internet, it's also throwing lots of extraneous packets up that way.

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
It's a hub

It really is a hub. I find it strange that this has worked for a year with no problems, and now we have problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.