Internet over Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iShak, Dec 26, 2006.

1. iShak macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2006

i have a windows machine sharing a single internet connection over ethernet and bluetooth, what i want is to use internet over bluetooth on my macbook.
    so the client is mac and host is a windows pc ...

it works if the client is a windows pc OR a pocket pc (got both and both work perfectly) however i cant get it to work on a mac ..

any ideas?

btw .. cant use ethernet .. its my bro's connection.

any help will be appreciated

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Oh OK, so it's from Windows not a phone. You might have more luck plugging the internet into your Laptop and sharing it via Airport with internet connection sharing (System Preferences==>Sharing==>Internet)

Otherwise I'd pick up a wireless router (like this netgear) or a wired ethernet hub.

If you really want to try this, and no-one here can help, try posting on a forum such as Arstechnica which is more platform neutral, they are also more technologically intense so are more likely to be able to help you.
  3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Trust me, you DON'T want to do this. Bluetooth is hideously, hideously slow, and it's not really designed to be used the way you're trying to use it. Sure, it's ok for very very light browsing like on a PocketPC, but it was not intended to be used as a desktop networking medium.
  4. iShak thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2006
    @erasehead: well,i have been looking at the apple discussions board and there quite a few people who claim to have done this :S .. and they post this script that is to be run but i am finding it hard to follow since i am relatively new to mac platform.

anyway, wireless router is next on my list, its just that i have got bluetooth network setup and wanted to make use of that until i get wifi.

@mrogers: not exactly, i use internet over bluetooth while logged on to xp (bootcamp) and i get fairly good speeds, i can stream videos wthout hiccups and it gives me close to 260kbps download speeds from decent servers .. (got bluetooth 2.0 dongle with widcomm drivers, connects at 2mbps and range of 10 meters line of sight)

so its not too bad ..